Identify these dense shrubs, used as a hedge?

We noticed some really dense shrubs forming a hedge about 8 feet tall at the beach near Wilmington, NC. I believe I have seen them in other places, especially around government parking lots. Very curious what they might be. I am sure some of the plant experts on here will know. Photos are here:

ncstockguy

I'd hazard a guess it is related to laurel.

More below

By states.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
Jangchub

The message from Jangchub contains these words:

could it be prunus lusitanica?

possibly eleagnus x ebbingei

Janet Baraclough

Anyone know if Eleagnus x ebbingei is an invasive?

Reply to
ncstockguy