Identify Plant

Can anybody identify this plant? My brother gave it to me, neither he or I know what it is.

I have posted a picture here:

You Roland

Reply to
Sockmonkey

Try looking under Euphorbia Crown of thorns.

Reply to
David Hill

Euphorbia milii var. splendens

The plant appears to not be getting enough light. Try moving it to a south facing window and it should bloom.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

(common name: Crown of Thorns -- sorry Cereoid)

Yep. It definitely needs light. It's a pretty easy-care plant. Let dry out between watering, give it lots of light, and it has very pretty little blooms ranging through cream, pink, and orange shades. Is vrey easy to propagate from tip cuttings.

Reply to
Frogleg

Sorry Frogger but the common name "Crown of Thorns" is not very specific. It is commonly used for a wide variety of spinescent Madagascar Euphorbia species, their hybrids and cultivars.

Euphorbia milii var. splendens has red "flowers" but the hybrids and cultivars come in a wide range of colors. The Thai Poysean hybrids have large showy flower clusters that resemble those of Hydrangeas

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

Don't get any sap on your skin, it burns some it's like poison ivy to others.

Reply to
Beecrofter

The plant was in a lot better shape before I went on holiday. I don't think it was watered while I was away. When I came back about 75% of the leaves had fallen off. They are starting to grow back now.

The plant is a cutting from my brothers plant. He originally bought it from the biology department at a University. At the end of each term they sell all their plants for a $1 each.

My brother just sold his condo, one of the subject tos on the contract was that his crown of thorns be included in the deal. I thought that was funny.

Anyway, thanks for all the help everybody, Roland

Reply to
Sockmonkey

I'm sure you're correct. I *did* apologize for the 'common' name. I have several of the whatevers/hybrids that, when not totally neglected, produce cute little flowers(!) in several colors (1 color per plant/hybrid/cultivar). I note that it (Euphorbia milii var. splendens) is a groundcover, forsooth, in warm climates. And with bright red flowers. However, Mr. Monkey's plant looked pretty much like a 'Crown of Thorns' houseplant in the dark. Not exactly in the class of "creeping Charlie" or "pigweed." :-)

Reply to
Frogleg

Reply to
Tina Gibson

In no way could any of the "Crown of Thorns" Euphorbias be considered anything remotely resembling a ground cover. All are spiny shrubs with upright branches. None grow prostrate on the ground.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

I could refer you to the Crown of Thorns Yahoo group. You will find there links to other websites and nurseries that list the various cultivars.

could even post a picture in the photo album to be identified.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

I would not say that. In california where this is used as an outdoor planting, the plants may be either prostrate, as they flop over with some size, and form a tangle which certainly covers the ground, in that the ground IS COVERED, tho not in the sense that a grass covers it; also there are some very tiny bushy forms which if planted close together, would certainly be groundcovers.

hermine

Reply to
hermine stover

I had one of these that gave me little very bright orange-red flowers year round in a window with lots of sun.

Reply to
Skirmishd

Is a thorny thicket the same as a ground cover? Afraid not.

A spiny shrub that flops over is not a groundcover.

Hermine is tripping again.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

in terms of what the plant does garden-wise, certain Crow-Of-Thorns, under rather ideal conditions, will cover the ground very thickly. When i first moved to California, I just happened to live a short distance from Abbey Gardens, and they did a nice planting of Crown-of-Thorns. at first they were neat and bushy, but in short order they grew together to form quite a thicket. they literally covered the ground. Now, if you are going to be stuffy and insist that their is an official list of "ground covers"----and many people who do not think out of the box, well, they do think this way, they can say it is not so. NEVERTHELESS, anyone who has seen rampant growth of prostrate and entangled Crown Of Thorns, would have to say, if asked, is the ground covered with this plant? well, they would have to say YES.

unlike yoursef, i actually can trip the light fantastic, i assume that is the trip to which you refer, Manteca.

hermine

Reply to
hermine stover

Reply to
Tina Gibson

Pure gibberish it is you speak, Herminerrhoid. You have neglected to take your meds again.

Groundcovers cover the ground and are typically something that can be walked on.

An impenetrable hedge thicket of spiny shrubs cannot in any way be considered anything even remotely resembling a groundcover. Except maybe it would be by your bizarre Addams family standards.

Its about time for you to go back into your box. Its still too early in the week for your perverse trick or treat pranks.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

So by your definition, Steve, you would be considered a form of groundcover.

herm

Reply to
hermine stover

Back it up, Cereoid. If you search on "crown of thorns" groundcover (or "ground cover") you will find many references with the 2 associated terms. "Groundcover" pretty much means something relatively low-growing that covers the ground -- i.e., spreads and presents a reasonable facade of respectably ordered landscape. Grass, ivy, portulaca, and (oh, the poetry) chamomile. You don't have to enjoy walking on it with bare feet for have it qualify as groundcover. I believe when you identified it with the correct name, the first reference I turned up said "ground cover, zones 10-11". Certainly a surprise to me, but evidently an not uncommon use.

Reply to
Frogleg

Well, not all groundcover is meant to be walked on. the succulent ice plants which line some of California's freeways come immediately to mind. If "lawns" are your idea of groundcover, there are very few plants which fit. the "naturalizing" selections of bulbs, sold for a high price by White Flower Farms, this is also a kind of groundcover, which one would never mistake for something to be walked upon. groundcover means different things in different places, but it does have a larger meaning, and that was my reference when i so classified Crown of Thorns. herm

Reply to
hermine stover