I'm about to eviscerate a lot of squirrels if I can't get some help.

.....or 6KB. Can you express your connection speed in lines?

Reply to
Travis M.

ADO

here is my question:

[...]

In case you do decide to "terminate them with extreme prejudice" (as they used to ? say in the CIA), be sure to eviscerate *before* broiling (or your preferred method of preparation).

Reply to
Persephone

Good luck with it. You have to be fairly vigilant about applying the blood meal around the plants. And if they are really hungry, I don't know how well it will work. One of my neighbors feeds every invasive pest there is, and while it attracts scads of pigeons etc., the squirrels probably don't dig up as many bulbs, etc. as they might otherwise.

I don't think there are many gardeners who haven't had to contend with squirrels and even if the gentler souls have probably felt like throttling the little buggers. The last I saw of my sunflowers last year was a fat little squirrel bum bouncing across the garden with the entire flower head in his mouth. Dora

Reply to
bungadora

So you've had lots of advice. Who's gonna' stand-up Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde, St. Francis or Freddy Krueger? Who can walk taller?

William Rose

You got that right!

Many tales to tell. The most recent: I put in 6 plants each of three varieties of strawberries. Saw nice fat berries ripening. Went out to pick -- surprise! Somebody had been there first. Had to improvise a mickey-mouse fence with netting on type. So far, so good...

The last I saw of my sunflowers last

Few years ago, my plum tree was on the way out. Only one limb still bearing. I had to go out of town, and wasn't about to sacrifice those few plums to THEM. Got a bunch of small paper bags and carefully tied them around each plum. Lotta work. In vain. How did they get those bags off???!!!!

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

I got one of those edible pit apricot trees from Stark.

5th year after it was planted it bloomed all over. I rubbed my hands gleefully and thought, this is it. finally. well ..... the squirrels found the pits, they stripped the entire tree of medium sized green apricots overnight to get those yummy pits. I cut the tree down the next day. no use training squirrels to strip all peach and apricot trees of fruit looking for those edible pits.

stark must know that those edible pits put the fruit at risk. I mean where in the world is there a place doesnt have tree rats?

kill em, kill em all. >Few years ago, my plum tree was on the way out. Only one limb still

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

That is absolutely the funniest thing I've seen in months!

Seahag

Reply to
Seahag

|> | I doubt one could get a special permit to trap squirrels. |>

|> 127 lines just for this? | |.....or 6KB. |Can you express your connection speed in lines?

127 lines of "message" - virtually all quoted thread from other people. Connection speed would be very relevant for folks on dial-up or other slow/expensive connections. For me it's just the irritation of having to scroll all the way down to find one line of message that adds virtually nothing. I know it's probably a waste of time responding, and I shouldn't do it, but once in a while .....

Alexander

Reply to
Alexander Miller

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

A .410 works great. We had them living in our attic. After we did an extensive remodeling which involved ripping out most of the walls and all of the ceilings in our house (not because of the squirrels), the critters tried to come back. They would romp and play on the roof and tease and taunt me as they frolicked and scampered about on the deck, even looking in the low windows on the deck. My husband was totally against killing the beasts, but he did trap a few in a sav-a-heart trap and took them to a deeply wooded area 10 miles away. But, there were more of them than the trap could take care of. As their assault on our dwelling continued, I knew it would just be a matter of time till they would find, or MAKE, a way back into our home again. That's when hubby sorrowfully got the .410. The man is a deer hunter, and he has hunted and killed wild turkey and wild hogs, but considered these fluffy tailed rats that built nests in our attic, chewed on the wood up there, pooped, pissed and reproduced up there, to be something that shouldn't be killed ?????? I finally told him it was them or me and he got his .410 and shot one! He told me about it, but didn't produce a carcass for me to see. From then on, he had to bring me a squirrel tail to prove he was doing the deed. I nailed them to the railing on the deck, the one they used to romp on. Blessed peace reigned for a long time. Then, when I started to see them again, and they taunted me every time I tried to shoo them off the deck, I got me a slingshot. I got pretty good with it. The little devils became aware of the yellow strap of the slingshot and would run away as soon as they saw it. Now, peace is reigning again and this time it has lasted for several years. I still see some, in the trees where they belong, but nary a one has dared to approach my house or my deck. if they do, well, I know what to do.

Gloria

"foo" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Gloria

PUH-LEASE! If you see a mouse in your house are you going to feed it and protect it in case it has little ones?

Gloria

Reply to
Gloria

Squirrels dig up lots of stuff just to see if it's something they want. They are attracted to freshly disturbed soil thinking that they have found the cache of another animal to rob from. They're nasty, devious destructive pests.

Gloria

Reply to
Gloria

But delicious, if prepared properly. It isn't often you get a chance to eliminate vermin and fill the cook pot with the same shot. I use a 22 and a pump-em-up pellet gun. Season here is nine months, but they taste good year 'round. Coyotes get the coons.

cheers

oz, whose karma is just fine, thank you

Reply to
MajorOz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

Gloria wrote:

I'm with you there, Gloria. I used to have a good wrist rocket and I use glass marbles. I am quite a shot. My wrist rocket has gone missing (after children resembling grandkids were here, so another one is in need of Granny Maddie......they fear me when they see me. No yellow but the sound of the door opening used to strike fear into their little fluffy nutter hearts. I've discovered black walnut trees in the PATHS now because they're too lazy to plant the nuts into the raised beds of loose, rich soils. They come down the Pawlonia tree and taunt me as they raid the bird buffet that they used to be banned from. So beware, I am going to the Fart of Wall (Wall Fart) and purchasing a wrist rocket and my bag of marbles and I hit what I aim's at, thank you very much. Nothing like a glass marble careening towards you at full velocity! I always hit the ass I aim at, and have cracked a few heads with the marbles too! LOL Discovered a little nasty secret about Sugar recently. She adores to kill squirrels and caught her shaking one she'd gotten when it tried to divert her and go around the back of the tree. She was out flanking it and was waiting for it when it went around the back. Saw her come out the backside of a good sized hackberry tree with a fluffy tailed nutter in her mouth and she shook it until she broke it's back, then brought it to me and I told her good dawg and petted her. tossed it into the bendejo's woods over the nine foot chain link fence with the razor barbwire tops for the turkey vultures or coyote to find (they will, in no time) or even the raccoons. I just wish they ate Vinca Major!! LOL

madgardener up on the ridge where we desperately need RAIN, back in Faerie Holler, overlooking English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone

7, Sunset zone 36 where we're in a red burning warning right now, the lightening bugs are three weeks EARLY, the hummingbirds are five weeks EARLY, and I ain't planted my squash seeds in the containers yet.......
Reply to
madgardener

And so cute! I've also noticed that they dig up where I've recently planted. I solved the problem of their digging up my flower containers by placing plenty of rocks around the plants when I arrange them. The rocks also help hold in moisture (the containers are cement and dry out quickly).

Curly Sue

Our Vanessa keeps the squirrels and racoons out of our back yard also. She does the same to the squirrels as Sugar. The racoons don't want to tangle with her after she got one of the babies spring of 06.

Reply to
Travis M.