How high before mowing after overseeding?

Hi All,

How high does the new grass sprouts need to be before mowing after overseeding? I overseeded a couple weeks ago with K31 ( yes, I know not the best :) ), and the new sprouts are about 1" now. The thing is the old grass and weeds are starting to get out of control. Is it best to wait for the new grass to get some height before mowing?

Many thanks for any advice!

Barry Andrews

This is a judgment call. Typically, I prefer to wait until it is absolutely necessary to mow, and only then with ideal conditions. The ground is not wet, the mower blade is sharp. Two weeks is not enough, one month is better.

Reply to
Phisherman

Go and sharpen your blade and then set the mower on the highest setting. Make that first cut when you absolutely can't stand waiting any longer on a good dry day. After the 2nd cut if you want to drop the height setting do it only one notch. 2 cuts then drop another notch until you are at your desired height.

Reply to
bamboo

"Barry Andrews" wrote inmessage news:E326e.3302$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...

Hi All,

How high does the new grass sprouts need to be before mowing after overseeding?

About three to four inches high............

I overseeded a couple weeks ago with K31 ( yes, I know not the best :) ), and the new sprouts are about 1" now. The thing is the old grass and weeds are starting to get out of control. Is it best to wait for the new grass to get some height before mowing?

Yes, you should have sprinkled a pre-emergent onto the ground that would have prevented the weeds from sprouting a couple of weeks ago. It only works on weeds, not grass. All you can do now is do some spot weed removal with a dandilion digger and put some weed killer on spots around the lawn to do in the weeds that are up now. Go to a Lowes or Home Despot where their grasses and weed killers are, and get enough to do the square footage you're dealing with. You might invest in some more grass seed for spot treatments when the weeds die.

How large is your lawn? If it's not too large, you could just remove the largest clumps of weeds. You can set your mower high enough (four inches) to whack the weeds and already established grass so that at least the weeds won't seed and make it worse.

Go back and rake up the debris and compost it, then do a spot removal with a digger on the largest clumps of weeds. If you have crabgrass, get a weed killer to distribute on the lawn that has crabgrass listed in the weeds it affects.

If you don't like dandilions, use that digger now to get up the tap roots of these before the yellow flowers make seed puffs and compost them too. (I love dandilions and let the bee's have them, but I remove them from containers and the raised flowerbeds when they pop up, I have more problems with vinca major than anything else, I don't HAVE a lawn or even grassy spots in front of these beds. Alas, my soil is as inhospitable as you can g et, so lately I just mulch heavily between the beds I can, and pull up stray weeds that dare to pop up.

Good luck! (and once the lawn is established, keep the lawn mower set at three inches, which is the best height for cutting grasses anyway)

madgardener (despite not having a lawn, I am a master gardener and knowledgable about this, not bragging, mind you)

Many thanks for any advice!

madgardener

Thanks for all of the replies!

How long should one continue to water after the seeds have germinated and are about 1" high?

thanks,

Phisherman wrote:

Reply to
Barry Andrews