How do you revitalise a Laburnum Walk?

I've recently moved into a house with a rather dishevelled laburnum walk. After several years of neglect the tunnel effect seems to have been totally lost, with lots of vertical shoots. I'd very much like to revitalise it, but am not sure how hard I can afford to prune back the existing growth. I'd guess its been planted for about twenty years.

Any advice gratefully received!

Reply to
graymuir

brianflay