How do I attract/grow aphids (I am NOT kidding!)

I have rarely, if ever seen nasturtium being sold at the box stores. Occasionally I see the 'Alaska' variety being sold in hanging baskets. It is an edible flower and seed pod, when green. It is a hot, peppery flavor.

That's why they didn't know. You also probably didn't ask the nursery person, but a person who is there to water.

Victoria

Reply to
animaux

gregpresley

"gregpresley" wrote in news:bn98r5$us209$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-153412.news.uni-berlin.de:

They do sell the seeds at Home Depot and Lowes in early winter/spring in my area. It wouldn't surprise me if nasturtiums weren't available in your area now, but then my HD doesn't even have a vegetable section this time of year. Did you actually look in the veggy section? Sometimes they put things wherever there's space. If you pronounced it NAS-TI- TURDI-YUM! I would have also looked at you funny but would have pointed you to the manure section.

At the minimum you should be able to find them the Ferry Morse white seed packets (when in season).

Reply to
Salty Thumb

What's your climate like? The leaves will be damaged by the slightest touch of frost, but the stems will hang on a little longer than extremely soft-stemmed plants like for example impatiens and begonias. However, it's been my experience that persistent nights below 45 degrees or so usually lead to root or stem rot.

Reply to
Jim Shaffer, Jr.

Not true. I just planted my seeds for nasturtium 'Alaska' which will flower profusely all winter. They are cool weather annuals. Sometimes in the summer they go dormant and come back out about now...several of the plants I had last winter are now starting to push up shoots from the ground.

Up north, they can grow very well in late fall into winter and can tolerate a light frost.

Victoria

Reply to
animaux

I agree. No cold hardy species of Solenostemon or Plectrantus. There are a few Coleus x hybridus that are annuals even in frost free zones. Still, I believe most of what you will find locally can be grown as a tender perennial in most areas of Los Angeles.

Reply to
Elizabeth

Reply to
Tina Gibson

Coleus x hybridus is an obsolete name. The various plants formerly described as species of Coleus involved in the hybridization are all now considered to be no more than selected leaf color forms of a single species correctly named Solenostemon scutellarioides.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

I think I found it online...

is this it???

While I was down at HomeDepot, I asked several pelple from the garden

Reply to
Sam

Sam wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com:

Sorry to confuse you. No it's not the same. At least I don't think so. The plant that goes by the common name "nasturtium" is a "new world" plant (i.e. indigenous to the Americas, and therefore unlikely to be encountered and named by a bunch of musty old Romans). There are apparently other plants named in a genus 'nasturtium' (your link). According to paghat (hi paggers), the genus of plant we are talking about is 'Tropaeolum'. She also posted a link to a picture.

- ST

Reply to
Salty Thumb

I think the nasturtium you may be looking for can be found here:

Sed5555

Reply to
gregpresley

Any time, babe!!!