Honeysuckle problems

I have a honeysuckle bush that, up until recently, seemed to be quite healthy and was growing well. I had to spray it with insecticide due to a small spider mite infestation killing off the top portion of the new growth, and now the bush is seemingly starting to die. Leaves throughout the bush are turning yellow and any new growth (it seems to still be sprouting new buds and they're growing rather long) seems to have yellowish spots. Is my honeysuckle dying or is this type of response normal after a bug infestation?

Reply to
JennC

I'll bet you didn't read the label on the insecticide, indicative that you didn't name the product, were you supposed to dilute it? An ordinary mild soap solution would have worked just fine and harmed nothing, now you'll lucky if your plant lives. Why do folks have to use over kill... and I'll bet you're one of those organic vegetable buying freaks.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Showing the amazing talent (once again) of working an unfounded and gratuitous insult into every post. A truly extraordinary skill.

David Hare-Scott

How does one killfile people on a NG?

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

As you appear to be using google groups you cannot. If you get a newsreader (there are some free, eg Outlook Express, Free Agent) and a usenet provider (there are some free, eg eternal september, albisani) you can do it.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

A true gift. One can only presume that Shelly sees the world through brown colored glasses; no sweetness, no joy, no wonderment.

Reply to
Billy

In the past Outlook has been the target of choice for hackers to spread viruses. It may have been fixed, but I'd try anything else first.

Reply to
Billy

Outlook is not Outlook Express and Outlook doesn't have news groups IIRC. I have used Outlook Express for years and while it is not particularly good it works and has never given me a virus. I do have an up-to-date virus checker, firewall and all Microsoft security updates installed, if using Windoze i think this is essential regardless of your news reader.

David Hare-Scott

If you weren't a cheap bastard you'd *buy* a real news reader... but still killfiling doesn't prevent others from reading and replying to your drivel. And just maybe UNmoderated Newsgroups are not for you, WUSSY WIMP! LOL-LOL

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Wow, I never would've thought to read the label, silly me! OH WAIT. I read the label, followed the instructions and, funny enough, am not a complete idiot but I'm sure you know me well enough to assume so. And no I don't buy organic vegetables. Thanks for your wonderfully helpful bit of information though, I really appreciate your input!

Reply to
JennC

Hi JennC

It's really annoying when people use forums for general banter (or insults) and really don't provide helpful information. Really guys if you're wanting banter go to a chat room but JennC posted this to get helpful advice about her honeysuckle - not get called an idiot and not to find out about the functionality of email programmes.

JennC I'm no expert but I'll add my comments that may only potentially help but I certainly hope will not insult! If you've followed the instructions then theres not really a lot you can do but watch and wait. It certainly doesn't sound like normal honeysuckly behaviour although mine went a bit yellow earlier this year around the bottom although the top looks healthy enough and it did flower a month or so ago.

I would recommend trying to take a cutting (or ten) to ensure if it does die you have a back up. Other than that just sit back and wait. Additionally you should not use the spray again, or if you're interested in an experiment, use it on something you're not particularly attached to see if it has the same reaction. If both die then maybe throw the spray away, but if it survives maybe your honeysuckle was just coincidence / bad luck!

Reply to
katey_new

Thank you for the advice :) I took a few cuttings when I first got the plant and they've been doing well, so if it comes to it, I've still got those. I did use the spray on a few nasturtium and they seem to be doing alright so maybe the spray was just too harsh for the honeysuckle. I also put the honeysuckle in new soil in case any of the insecticide drained into the dirt. I'll just wait and see if my plant makes a recovery. Thank you for the help Katey.

Reply to
JennC

You're a worse insult than anyone... here you are being rude by just barging into a place where you've not previously habituated and have no real business, and certainly weren't invited, and offering the OP not a whit of useful information... and if you actually believe that just because, after the fact, she claims she read and understood the directions then you are an imbecile. She obviously did NOT read the directions (AND SHE STILL HASN'T POSTED THE NAME OF THE INSECTICIDE). And I did offer an excellent suggestion, use a soap solution. Now get lost you filthy stinking unbathed trouble making illiterate UK POS.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Seriously Brooklyn, you appear to be losing your mind. Anyone can post here, if you think you have some special status because you've been harassing people here for years, you're out of your mind.

I don't get it.

When I meet a stranger, I try to be polite. I bet you do the same thing in real life.

Reply to
Dan Espen

You offered a suggestion to combat spider mites, which are no longer the problem. The name of the insecticide is Captain Jack's Deadbug Brew, and yes I read the instructions no matter how many times you want to claim that I didn't. I was also told by quite a few people that this insecticide would be appropriate for use on honeysuckles. Feel free to continue posting insults and claiming you are sure I'm an idiot, Ms. Holier than Thou.

Reply to
JennC

Usenet is full of compromises. Did know that this is a usenet newsgroup rec.gardens? People usually inhabit only a few NGs and so those there become familiar. If seeking help it is very common to ask those you know before seeking an outsider even the latter is an expert and the former is not. Similarly those with a pleasant history together will swap ideas that may not be strictly on topic. Do you really want to take the banter out of garden banter? These factors pretty well guarantee that some posts will drift off topic.

While HB may not have come here looking for info on 'email programmes' (newsreaders actually) they asked about killfiling for obvious reasons. Should this OT request have been ignored, should the request have been refered to other forums or would it be the neighbourly thing to reply in context? I chose option #3 as being constructive and helpful.

It would be nice if all posts here were reasonably on topic and civil. If wishing would make it so.

Neither you no I can control what is posted here. The only control we have is what we read and what we respond to. If all users posted though a medium that allowed killfiling, Sheldon (AKA Brooklyn) would not be posting to anybody, it would be as if he never existed (oh bliss!) and the tone of the group would be lifted greatly. So in the sense of trying to gain a measure of control and exclude unpleasant and irrelevant material discusion of killfiles and the software that enables them is relevant.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Hi Brooklyn - you're calling me illiterate and yet you say "You're a worse insult than anyone". That doesn't even make sense. Also I'd check your definition of me "barging into a place you've not previously habituated and have

no real business, and certainly weren't invited". Firstly, no-ones previously habituated a place before they've joined by definition, secondly I do have business here as the forum states "Dedicated to all aspects of gardening across the globe. Debates take place over a huge range of gardening subjects, with experts and beginners alike", I fit quite well into that description. Thirdly I was invited, I submitted my request for access and the moderators of the forum sent me an invite to join.

JennC I'm glad you found my post helpful. As I have no further information to add I won't be posting anything further here for now but I do hope your honeysuckle recovers - please keep us updated!

Katey

Reply to
katey_new