Honda 214 mower misbehaving!!

I recently bought a 2nd hand honda 214 self propelled rotary mower.

only payed £40 for it and the deck etc seemd in good nick... I go home and started the engine, 2nd pull!!!! it erupted with a massiv cloud of blue smoke then died... I checked the carb - gave it clean, and checked the spark plug - it was all oiled up! I cleane the spark plug and it fired up again for about 20 secs then died again the spark plug was all oiled up again..

what is wrong with my mower and what can i do to rectify the problem?

Adam

-- officeGardens.c

Reply to
officeGardens.c

Check and make sure that you do not have to much oil in the mower. I have had a similar expernience with another 214 Honda and after examining it I found that it had a quart more oil than needed. A

Reply to
al

Oil in the cylinder can come from having tipped the mower for service or transport, from being over-filled, or from a damaged piston,rings, cylinder,or valve guides.

So make sure it's not overfilled, if it was tipped over for transport it may oil up a few times before you clear the oil. You might just get lucky.

Reply to
bamboo

officeGardens.c writes in article dated Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:54:26

+0000:

As others have said, get the oil out of the cylinder.

If it's a continuing problem (blowby), there are 2 ways to deal with it.

The "right" way is to get the piston ring(s) replaced. Or maybe even a larger piston (and the block bored to the larger size). Could be expensive.

The cheap way is to get a spark plug offset (from an auto parts store). Screw the offset into the engine and the plug into the offset. It shields most of what sprays onto the plug, so it takes longer for the plug to foul. It also reduces your compression ratio and probably effectively retards the timing, which is why engines don't come that way from the factory.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Reply to
Spud Demon

It won't "retard timing", but a plug anti-fouling adapter will mess with the flame front and point of explosion in the combustion chamber. On a relatively low rpm, constant speed engine it may not make much difference, however.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish