Help with Geraniums!

I have a large hanging basket full of geraniums that was blooming nicely but has stopped setting blooms. The foliage looks great but new buds turn brown and fall off before they open...... what's wrong?

Ron H.

Reply to
Ron H

water and fertilize them with a high phosphorous fertilizer.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

A friend who owns a small greenhouse told me years ago that planting geraniums only in clay pots would avert this problem. It has worked for me.

Reply to
Harriet Nation

You have a beautiful plant and geraniums will not bloom unless stressed. Underwater, plant in crappy soil and do not fertilize. You will have nice blossoms. If you want a nice plant, then you will get no blossoms

alice

Reply to
Alice B

Reply to
Lee Coleman

Good day Ron. I highly suspect that you have botrytis. I had to deal with it a lot when I worked in the nursery. The link:

on >Ornamentals >Geranium

Quote from the page.... Biology Botrytis is a fungus which thrives under mild environmental conditions. Brown, water-soaked areas appear on leaves and petals. The spots soon dry out and become covered with gray-brown masses of fungal growth. Flowers wilt and drop. Brown leaf lesions often result after petals drop on leaves. Stock plants may show a stem blight.

Management Options Select Non-chemical Management Options as Your First Choice!!

  • An integrated strategy combining environmental management, cultural practices, and fungicides will best manage this disease. * Increase spacing between plants. * Remove and burn infected leaves. * Water at base of plants and/or with drip irrigation, do not wet foliage.
Reply to
Timothy