Help! What type of flowers to plant????

Hello! I have just bought my own home and finally have my own little garden! Problem is i've never been green fingered or have any idea about plants. I have a small area of grass which i intend to keep but put a bedding around the edge. My garden is south facing so has the sun on it a lot and the soil is quite dry.

What do you think i should do? Put extra fertaliser in the soil? and what type of plants are best to have in the sun?

Any advise would be greatful. thankyou!

Reply to
LillyP

Study and think before you act. Determine what YOU want to do in the garden, gardens have many possible uses and should be made according to the soil and climate, and the needs and abilities of the users. There is no one size fits all.

Draw a plan. Consider the direction of wind and sun. Get some design books from the library. Talk to neighbours. Join the garden club. Don't fertilise until you know what is growing (or is to grow) there and that it needs it. Find out which plants grow best in the sun and which ones don't, there are far too many to list now, garden books often categorise according to things like full sun, part sun and shade.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Where do you live?

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Reply to
dr-solo