Help me protect 3 trees from a tosser

Hi all - this is my first posting here. I signed up to see if I could get some help with a neighbourhood problem I've got right now.

Background: Some arse doesn't like a tree in the centre of a lovely housing complex. It's just one person, and everyone else loves it. He sent threatening letters to the property maintence people a few months back saying it's blocking his view of the river and that it must be cut down. He lives in an attic by himself and is a real off character.

We live in a lovely area which is deemed a conservation area. In our area 3 trees have been damaged. You can draw a straight line from the river through these three damaged locations right to his window. Two trees have been slashed with a saw and a third smaller tree has had a bunch of branches cut off. The two that are slashed are larger silver birches, with the one in the centre of the complex (possibly even planted when the complex was started as a park is built around it) being over 40 feet tall. The slashes are 1-2 inch deep wounds circling the outside of the tree. Looking at it, I'd say it has a 50/50 chance of living (if you want I can take pictures).

As it's a conservation area, the police have been contacted and involved. We gave them the letter, and they saw the obvious line to his window. That matter is entirely in their hands now. What I'm looking for help for is this:

Is there anything that I can put on the tree to help it mend? Next up, if the trees live, what can I put around it in order to protect them? I was considering metal bars / some sort of mesh but would like it to look nice as well.

Thoughts / comments are appreciated.

Reply to
whelmed

Motion activaed game camera.

Reply to
beecrofter

To do anything that would stop the tosser slashing the trees would be expensive - contact the property maintenance people and ask them investigate and install proper tree guards. Take up a collection to help them buy some guards if need be. The tosser is most likely to poison the trees and there really is nothing you can do to stop that other than to mount a 24 hour guard.

Reply to
FarmI

super glue in his front door lock

rob

Reply to
George

Well I'm considering getting a tree guard myself and installing it. Found a cheapish one which is still quite nice. I do hope that they put up a camera of some sort - I just don't understand some peoples logic.

So I've read conflicting reports on wrapping of trees after this type of damage. Some say don't fill the cuts as it traps moisture in and accelerates the rot. Others say it stops bugs from getting in and saves them in the end. That's kind of the problem with google, because you'll always find an answer, but not just the right answer.

Any thoughts on wrapping / food supplements for the tree?

Reply to
whelmed

If the slashes are continuous around the circumference of the trees (i.e. the trees were "girdled"), the roots have lost life support and the trees will slowly die. What a shame - I hope the responsible party can be prosecuted.

Reply to
Amos Nomore

such a shame that this Richard Cranium has such disregard for a tree who's life would have exceeded his own. To deliberately destroy a tree that's quietly grown for 40 years, cleans the air, houses birds and provides shade and temperatures 15=B0 F cooler on a hot day is beyond my comprehension. The solutions above and below are interesting. Super glue in the door lock is a good one. I'd say report him to the community authorities. Direct retaliation would be pointless. He's already girdled the tree and it WILL die a horrible death. Know that Karma is a bitch. Mother Nature will get him back, just give it time. Maybe someone should nail his windows shut for him? Or paint the outside of his window glass.......nahh, never mind. He's not worth it. It's his type that think that the deforestation of the rain forests is justifiable because the local people need the wood. And the builders need the scaffolding for their tall buildings. Or more land to graze cattle, even if the soil depth is just three inches and is barren after two years grazing........never mind. I just jumped tangient......sorry. Vote him out of the building. Or get his rent raised so he has to relocate. Unless he's getting assistance on his living expenses. If that's the case, everyone is screwed and will have to install something indestructable. Like a billboard advertisment...... maddie going back to her gardening in the Mississippi River Delta region of Western Tennessee now in her new Faerie Holler where all trees and bushes and perennials are welcome

Reply to
madgardener

If it hasnt been too long get somebody in that can do bridge grafting. that may save the big tree. I would suggest a paint ball gun for obscuring his window ... in white with bits of black you can claim the birds are crapping on him. You definitely need a security cam pointed in that direction to catch him in the act. Ingrid

On Tue, 11 May 2010 11:26:28 -0700 (PDT), madgardener wrote: Or paint the>outside of his window glass..... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Reply to
dr-solo