Grow your Own .......Italian Farmers Protest Food Labeling

Italy ? Tens of thousands of Italian farmers protested Wednesday against the lack of clear and detailed labels on agricultural products, saying cheap imports from China were hurting their bottom line.

Protesters marched through downtown Bologna demanding the implementation of a law approved by parliament last year that would force Italian companies to specify on labels the origin of the ingredients of foods and drugs.

The Coldiretti agriculture lobby, which organized the demonstration, said more 150,000 people participated.

Coldiretti said large-scale food-processing companies increasingly purchase raw foods abroad at low prices and mix them with Italian-grown products. The result is that it is becoming impossible to identify the origin of the contents of products such as fruits and vegetables, it said.

Such mixing has become a greater concern in light of recent scandals involving tainted products from China, a growing list that includes frozen fish to juice.

Farmer Claudio Pigini said his efforts to grow high-quality tomatoes are not rewarded because he is competing with cheaper foreign imports.

?We are limited in the usage of pesticides by Italian laws in order to avoid making the plant toxic. Having to comply with this rule involves a major expense. On the other hand, one doesn?t know what Chinese farmers use since they don?t do any tests,? Pigini told Associated Press Television News.

Reply to
Charlie

Saw this thought of you Charlie.

Left all the info in front of the Recipe

Leave off the chipotles for the wimps resonated somehow. I like heat.

Bill .......................

-sjc-13!supernews.com!news.glorb.com!newsfeed.hal-mli.net!feeder1.hal-mli .net!news.alt.net!feeder.nmix.net!216.184.2.11.MISMATCH!iruka!not-for-mai l From: Terry Pogue Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes Subject: Marinated Zucchini Salad Followup-To: rec.food.cooking, rec.food.recipes Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 21:25:36 +0000 (UTC) Organization: Southwest Cyberport Lines: 38 Approved: snipped-for-privacy@swcp.com Message-ID: NNTP-Posting-Host: yagi.swcp.com X-Trace: iruka.swcp.com 1184361936 22256 216.184.2.43 (13 Jul 2007

21:25:36 GMT) X-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@iruka.swcp.com NNTP-Posting-Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 21:25:36 +0000 (UTC) Originator: snipped-for-privacy@swcp.com (Patricia Hill)

Marinated Zucchini Salad

Recipe By: Judy Howle

2 medium zucchini 1/2 tsp salt 5 Tbsp white vinegar 1 clovegarlic, minced 1/4 tsp oregano 1/2 cup olive oil 1 cups garbanzo beans, drained 3 green onions, sliced 1/2 cups sliced ripe olives 1 ripe avocado, cut into 1/2" cubes 1 or 2 chipotles in Adobo, rinsed and chopped 3 Tbsp grated Romano cheese or 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese 1 head Boston lettuce, cored, separated into leaves

Cut zucchini in half lengthwise, and slice 1/4" thick, crosswise. Place slices in bowl and toss with salt. Spread out on several thicknesses of paper towels to drain for 30 min. Pat dry. Combine vinegar, garlic, and oregano. Gradually whisk in oil. Add zucchini, onions, beans, and olives. Refrigerate, covered, at least 30 min. and up to 4 hrs. Just before serving, add avocado, chipotles and cheese; toss to mix. Serve over bed of lettuce. This is DELICIOUS!! I serve it often when I have guests and leave off the chipotles for the wimps.

-- Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at snipped-for-privacy@swcp.com. Only recipes and recipe requests are accepted for posting. Please allow several days for your submission to appear. Archives:

William Wagner

And I thank you for thinking of me. This sounds wonderful and will be offered on the menu, perhaps tomorrow.

The chipotles will go on mine, the wimp won't have anything warmer than black pepper on hers. Perhaps a bit of sweet red pepper will do.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Tariffs for the protection of food quality ? Might be hard here (USA) as food source does not have to be identified.

{tariff for revenue}, or for the artificial fostering of home industries (

{a projective tariff}), or as a means of coercing foreign governments, as in case of

Taken from below.

Bill who wonders what does free trade mean in a world where cheap labor and inferior cheap stuff goes to the highest bidder? Guess we can't complain as Nestle sold baby formula out of date to Africa as I vaguely remember. Think pay backs are hell.

Tariff \Tar"iff\, n. [F. tarif; cf. Sp. & Pg. tarifa, It. tariffa; all fr. Ar. ta'r[imac]f information, explanation, definition, from 'arafa, to know, to inform, explain.] 1. A schedule, system, or scheme of duties imposed by the government of a country upon goods imported or exported; as, a revenue tariff; a protective tariff; Clay's compromise tariff. (U. S. 1833). [1913 Webster]

Note: The United States and Great Britain impose no duties on exports; hence, in these countries the tariff refers only to imports. [1913 Webster]

Note: A tariff may be imposed solely for, and with reference to, the production of revenue (called a

{revenue tariff}, or

{tariff for revenue}, or for the artificial fostering of home industries (

{a projective tariff}), or as a means of coercing foreign governments, as in case of

{retaliatory tariff}. [Webster 1913 Suppl.]

  1. The duty, or rate of duty, so imposed; as, the tariff on wool; a tariff of two cents a pound. [1913 Webster]
  2. Any schedule or system of rates, changes, etc.; as, a tariff of fees, or of railroad fares. --Bolingbroke. [1913 Webster]

TO Charlie

Gilmore solo after 22 years Thanks!!

Reply to
William Wagner
[...]

The point wasn't so much that the formula was out of date. What happened was that Nestle put posters of white-looking African women feeding their babies formula in shabby little shops in every wide place in the road. I saw such posters personally while traveling in Kenya decades ago.

The propaganda was to make them thinkthat feeding formula was more "chic"; more "white" than breast-feeding. But the women did not know how to use the formula; they mixed it with cold water or contaminated water, or otherwise misused it.

Meantime their own precious breast milk which would have boosted their babies' immune systems, went to waste.

It was one of the most cynical, most successful exploitations ever perpetrated on ignorant and unsophisticated African women.

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

Much like it was/has/is being perpetrated/continued upon Western women.

Substitution of formula for convenience and profit is shameful. No excuses. The system is effed that forces and lures women away from breastfeeding.

Both of our sons were breastfed for close to two years. Our first grandson was breasfed for a year. Second grandson is being breastfed, even though his mother was entirely put-off by the idea *before* she became pregnant. When returning to teaching this fall, she will pump for us to use while she is at school. Perhaps we will discuss bringing the baby to her at school.

Speaking of immune systems....our second son recently had his first

*ever* course of antibiotics, for a severe bout of cellulitus. He is twenty-seven.

Charlie......not a woman, but a huge advocate of breastfeeding.

Reply to
Charlie

My wife was a member 30 years ago. These folks helped alot !

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner