groundcover under pines

i have a stand of mature pines( not sure what kind) that i cut the bottom branches off a few years ago.now that sufficient sunlight reaches the ground below the pines all kind of weeds have been sprouting up and i am looking for some type of decorative groundcover that would do well in i'm guessing an acidic soil.thanks for any advice/input.

cj in s.e michigan

Reply to
cj

From my own experience, azaleas do spectacularly.

I also have a very happy oak leaf hydrangea and a holly and the usual english ivy.

Perhaps I should prune more, all are over 10' tall and satisfied with their lot. I suppose that doesn't really count as ground cover, except for the ivy, which covers whatever it pleases. I used to also have liverworts growing beneath the pines, but this is more something that you would have to know was there! Moss would be more noticeable.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies