groundcover recommendations

I live just outside of Asheville, NC and need a few recommendations for ground cover.

area #1: under a deck , which is like 14' off of the ground (I live on a hill). This area gets morning sun until noon when it gets nothing direct. I'd say the direct light is from 9am until noon or so. If it rains it gets mildly wet from water running through the deck planks. This faces east and butts up against the house, which is brick. I'd like to plant something here that won't invade the lawn. Some grass wise trying to grow here. At one time I had firewood stacked in this location but removed it and put some lime down.

area #2: north side of house. gets morning sun that is dappled. There is an overhang about 20' up (roof, no gutter). There is a house directly north of this spot about 15' away and a mulberry tree in the center. Grass hasn't had too much luck here, even the shady variety. Ivy seems to take hold ok here, but I've had enough of dealing with that. :)

What would you recommend I try in these locations? One nursery person said hostas, but I want something that will give cover. I thought about mulch but vegetation would look nicer.

Reply to
rickm

Under your deck, it sounds as though you have a great spot for hostas and several other shade loving plants. Three hours of morning sun (in Asheville) can be handled by many shade lovers, especially hostas. I have "Golden Tiara" planted in just such a situation and it has completely filled the area in three years.

Other suggestions include epimediums, pachysandra (there's a variety called Alleghany Spurge), and hellebores. Dwarf mondo grass would almost look like grass but it can take a while to fill in an area.

You might want to go over to the Botanical Garden just west of Asheville to see what they might have growing as ground covers.

Happy planting.

Reply to
Marcy Hege

Pachysandra. Bulletproof, troublefree, keeps the soil draining nicely, laughs at bad weather, doesn't spread quickly, easy to control.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Take a trip on over to Jesse Israel at the Farmers Market. He can sell you any ground cover you want most all of which will work in the application you want. You may need to give it additional water at least until you have a good cover going..

alice

Reply to
Alice B