grapes are taking over my yard

when is the best time to prune grape vines? i recently bought a property where the grapes, and other fruit, have been left to take over the yard and they are.

Reply to
i.r.e

I sure wish I had that problem with grapes.......

There is a certai way top prune them, or you canmake em loose a lot of fruit, and just make more vines without many grapes. I found a good website with google on pruning grapes so you may want to do a google search. I can't find that URL or I would post it. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Prune when the vines are dormant. I don't know where you live but for a lot of places in the U.S. this is between the months of December and March.

For a GOOD book on growing and pruning, get the book "From Vines to Wines" by Jeff Cox. It is inexpensive and an excellent, easy to understand book.

Reply to
Paul E. Lehmann

Are they really grapes? I just read in the paper that there is an invasive weed, Porcelainberry, that looks like grapes and is related to grapes, but isn't the kind of grape you can eat. It takes over everything and strangles trees. It looks like it grows in the East in zone 6 or 7 and further south.

Get an ID to be sure. If it's the invasive stuff, you'll have to get aggressive to get rid of it.

-- Jenny - Low Carbing for 5 years. Below goal for weight. Type 2 diabetes, hba1c 5.7 . Cut the carbs to respond to my email address!

Reply to
Jenny

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

This time of year, grape vines grow like crazy. We have a grape vine that grows on top of the a gazebo, every few weeks I cut back the vines that come down too low. If I don't, I end up with a garden that looks more like an Amazon jungle. Just make sure you're not cutting the vines with grapes on them.

Snooze

Reply to
Snooze