gingko in a pot?

dear gardeners all....has anyone experience growing a gingko tree in a pot?..i have a 'seedling' with a single stem about 2 feet high and would like to grow it on my deck...i am in the pacific north west near vancouver canada...my concerns are space the roots prefer and will it stand the winter temps with roots above ground?

thanks!

murphy

Reply to
murphy

I have some variegated Ginkos from Japan, which have been growing in containers for twenty years. If i ever find a place i like well enough i plan to stay there, i will plant them in the ground. no doubt they would be bigger in the ground, but they do JUST FINE in the containers.

I am also growing some plain Ginkgos as grafting stock for the variegated budwood. they have been in containers for about five years.

So i would have to say they do awfully well as containerized trees.

hermine

Reply to
hermine stover

Just don't let the roots freeze solid.

Reply to
Phisherman

Hermine, where oh where did you buy the variegated ginkgo? Do you have any rooted seedlings I can trade for or buy? I would love to have one of those.

victoria

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?

escapee

...wow!...good news...:))....what climate are you?

murphy

Reply to
murphy

I grow Ginkos Crates 24" square x 21" deep. Have 8-10' tall 1 1/2" calipher. Do very well. Crate is big enough volume for moisture and doesn't freeze up in Zone 6. We also use the HD plastic crates for almost every other kind of larger tree. see our website for pics under Amaroo crates:

Ren