Garden business advice wanted

Hi all,

I live in a place where the nearest quarter-decent garden supply store is miles away, and the locals have to pay bridge tolls to get there and back. In addition, I live near a mass-transit station that sees huge traffic in the summer and fall. It finally dawned on me that there's potential here for a small business catering not only to locals but to people going home from the beach (did I mention I live one block from one of the most heavily visited beaches in North America?)

Anyway, try to put yourselves in the shoes of the locals and the transients. I realize that the readers here are people who take joy in starting their own plants weeks or months before they can survive outside (I have flats and six-packs growing now too!) but if you were a casual gardener, what might you want?

Here are my thoughts:

...First, tomatoes. Sell a variety. Most locals here have yards, so I plan on offering sand-and-salt-resistant varieties. A couple of seed companies offer such. For apartment dwellers, offer cherry tomatoes that will yield fruit in a container on a balcony or even in a basket hanging by a window.

...Cucumbers. Bush and vine varieties are called for, given the reasons for tomatoes listed above.

I plan on selling to transients by setting up a stand near the train station, and to locals through ads in the neighborhood paper and a web site.

I know that most small businesses fail in their first year. Thus, I want to start pretty small and not sink a huge amount of money into seeds and supplies. I will see how it goes in the first year or two. If the demand warrants it, I could expand it (as I hope to- my kid starts college soon!)

Thanks for everything

Chris

NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN AD. THIS IS A REQUEST FOR ADVICE. I HATE ADS ON USENET.

Reply to
Chris

"Chris" wrote

Chris, concentrate on the apartment set and container gardens. Folks with yards that garden will make the hop on the toll station for larger variety than what it sounds like your stand will have.

Transport will be an issue. You are catering to train riders. They won't walk off with a plastic flat of seedlings and you'll have to keep weight (and any bottom drain holes leaking dirt) in mind. Honestly it doesn't sound like a good location to sell whole plants but maybe there is something about the area you know that isn't obvious in your post? That or you have a free 'kiosk' opportunity and are looking to fill it?

In that area as you describe it, a cut flower place can do very well. Doesn't have to be orchids and roses. Pretty arranged black eyed susans, Daisies, and other less expensive and easy to grow things work well. A small bouquet of pansies nestled in a little babies breath and sold for 3$ or less will catch the guys with their girlfriends. Mint also makes a nice greenery to surround flowers with.

Now if you really want to do real plants, rethink the types apartment dwellers get. Container gardening is very popular and they take well to beefeater tomatoes and other versions. Cucumbers, lettuce (except iceberg), spinach, squash, eggplant, herbs, strawberries, peppers (bell and hot) are among the easy winners of the container crowd.

Reply to
cshenk

Hi Chris, I applaud your vision. I had a similar vision and now 20 years later, I can look back and say, its the best thing i ever did ? I was forced into mine because having had a little stint on TV, I owed the Inland Revenue alot of money (your IRS) and needed to raise some extra and here i am !! I too, couldnt invest anything to start off and like you thought of quick things to sell but also remember that things like tomatoes need to be shifted quickly, whereas any shrubs you buy in or grow, if not sold only gain in value as they get bigger ?? Here In Cornwall UK a big holiday area of UK, I quickly realised that visitors to our area were always looking for plants to take home., so thats what I now do along with a range of coastal salt hardy plants for the locals. Remember, garden stores, garden centres have huge overheads, thats why they charge what they do and even if you buy in plants and double what you pay for them, you will always be cheaper by half of what most charge ?? I now work from March to Oct concentrating on the holiday trade and thoroughly enjoy what I do and make a living as well ! Best wishes with your venture, Lannerman

Reply to
lannerman

"Chris" wrote

Just don't name your business "Christian Gardens".

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Since Michiganders passed the medical weed law. Over night it seems that their is a Hydroponic/Garden supply store on every street corner in the Great Lake State. No seeds or plants sold in those stores :)

Reply to
Nad R

-------

From: Sheld> I own a business "Professional Pond Maintenance and Fish Care".

That's your first untruth... you *operate* a business.... you don't own a business until your IRS return doesn't show you're operating at a loss.

That's your second untruth.

Your parents must have had high hopes for you to succeed in the arts... you're not going to do well in business unless you change your name.

-----

What sickness drives you, Shelly?

-
Reply to
Billy

Yes, Its really smart idea, I think you can get many profit from this business, Its really nice concern But at first just try to get full information regarding this, Then start it...!

Reply to
Ava

I think its really smart idea! I think you could get many experience and information from this business. you just need to get more information about this business before start it. Take care!

Reply to
dendenoden0223