Fungal Problem

I have had a terrible fungal prioblem in my garden this year. I think its mainly powdery mildew that has affected my clematis, of which I have had to cut down about 5. It has also affected my honeysuckle, my continus coggygria or "smoke bush" my rhododendron, and about 3 of my other shrubs.

I have read that in clematis it can be caused by too much darkness and moisture, but then in the same breath that it could be caused by dryness at the roots, what am I to believe? At the time I was giving them a thorough watering so believed it to be over watering. All I can do it cut all these plants back hard and hope it doesn't come back again. It seems to be an epidemic!

Reply to
foxglove77

If it is really powdery mildew, then it's really more of an aesthetic problem than it is deadly to your plants. Cutting back isn't really necessary. The spores are in the air and high humidity and high temperature tends to encourage powdery mildew. Google "powdery mildew treatment" and you'll see all sorts of chemicals and organic cocktails.

-al sung Rapid Realm Technology, Inc. Hopkinton, MA (Zone 6a)

Reply to
Alan Sung

Google powdery mildew and milk and you will information on how to control it and the ratio of milk and water to use. You can also kill it with JMS stylete oil.

Reply to
Paul E. Lehmann