Frozen Calathea?

My three varieties of calathea all died after living happily in a bright room near north-facing windows for more than a year; I suspect I let the house get too cold during a few frosty nights we were unprepared for.

How low does their temperature tolerance go?

Thanks,

Rob Maryland

Reply to
Robert

Above freezing.

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........

Rob, Calthea, like most torpical/houseplants, begin to become unhappy(shedding foliage, turning yellow,esct.) at temps below 55 degrees and will begin to die at temps approaching 40 degrees and below

Anthony B Ky Certified Nurseryman

Reply to
Anthony B

.....and when the temperature goes below freezing, they are irrevocably dead.

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........

Truth, Cereus..Truth

Reply to
Anthony B

Reply to
presley

If you like to coddle dead plants, go ahead and waste your own time. Just don't recommend for others to do it.

One day on a university campus I saw a worker watering an obviously dead stump of a tree. I asked him: "How much water does a dead tree need?" The man became very annoyed and said "I'm just doing what I was told to do." He was an ideal pawn of a state worker!!!

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........

"presley" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

It got pretty cold, but probably not freezing - we were out of town and left a couple of the upstairs windows open and heat off.

One of the plants revived; the other two are working on becoming compost.

Rob Chevy Chase, MD

Reply to
Robert