Fountain usage in winter for the birds

I have a two level fountain plus the third level is where the water flows. I live in the St. Louis, MO area and was wondering if it might be safe to use my fountain in winter for the birds.

I would use two birdbath type heaters, one on each level. The fountain is on my deck, right up against the house on one side and could be sheltered on a second side.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this idea?

Thanks, Bobbie

Reply to
Bobbie Verstraete

I'm interested in hearing how well this works for you. I keep a heated birdbath top filled on my patio all winter for the local wildlife. I think some of them might like moving water, too, so I'm prepared to learn from your experience. ;-)

How cold does it get in St. Louis? Here in Boston we can go down to the single digits and stay there -- with wind. Last winter there were mornings that the feral cats I feed couldn't finish their food fast enough to get it all before it froze to the plate!

Priscilla

Reply to
Priscilla Ballou