Favorite daylilly sources?

The key word was "was".

You blamed the origin on Wal-Mart, but Wal-Mart came well after the "was" timeframe referred to. And the grocery business left it behind a little longer than 5 years ago, but only after a few decades of building their empires on it.

Reply to
Warren

I think WM's success is based on something else, but I don't think about it often because it's frightening to think that of all the reasons people do a certain thing, stupidity may be at the top of the list.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

"Warren" wrote in news:0eRpd.467567$D%.236411 @attbi_s51:

(big old snip)

(another big old snip)

Is this the same as the Treasure City stores that were in Lincoln, Nebraska? I remember riding with Mom up there as a kid in the 70s, we always shopped at the south store (highway 2 and 27th street) and ate at the Burger Chef (before the chain got absorbed by Hardee's - isn't this another blast from the past). Then crossing highway 2 and it was all farmland south of there (now its all subdivisions for 5-6 miles... sigh). I remember the stores were pretty junky, but coming from a little town an hour's drive away, it was as close to an adventure as we got. That store is a Shopko now, and the north store on 48th (mom never went there, it meant she had to drive through Lincoln to get there, and she hated driving in larger town) had a 'new to you' clothing and household goods store last I saw.

Richard

- daylily source in the midwest (to keep this on topic)

Reply to
Richard

Doug, Doug, Doug,

Buying local is only as good as you make it. Buying Daylilies (or any perennial for that matter) from anyone other than a specialty nursery is an open invitation for problems. Even most of the Garden Centers I have come in contact with are selling Tissue Cultured plants and it really isn't that difficult for plant lables to get lost or switched.

Some of the best and nicest Daylilies I have bought have been by mail. But you do still have to be careful about who you buy from. I have a rather lager clump of HYPERION in one of my back beds, it is a lovely old cultivar, registered in 1924 with the American Hemmerocallis Society. I'd be very happy to share a few fans with you in the Spring.E-mail me about it and any others you may be looking for. I will have several cultivars for sale in the Spring.

Some of the Dayliliy growers I have bought plants from include MARIETTA GARDENS, FAVORITE THINGS DAYLILY GARDENS, as well as a number of other hobby growers and hybridizers. Both of these mentioned can be found through a google seach. Be prepared to have your socks blown off! If you do a general search for Daylily Gardens, you'll get several hundred links.

Hemmaholic See my personal site:

Hemmaholic

Thank you - I may be in touch. Wish I had something to share, but the property I just bought is a wasteland. The previous owners planted almost nothing, except for some "mystery bulbs" which I dug up while removing a tacky post light from a circular planting area full of weeds. Oh...and they planted some sort of daylilly in a hole full of pure sand, up against the garage where 3 ft eaves kept it from getting any water.

Reply to
Doug Kanter