Favorite daylilly sources?

I need to find a daylilly called "Hyperion" for next season. Variety aside, can anyone recommend a source or two for daylillies? Someone you've found to be dependable?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

IntarsiaCo

I'd head to Oakes or Olallie for Hyperion.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

"Doug Kanter" wrote in news:xq4md.3852$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

Sam Hill Gardens in Malcolm, NE carries Hyperion

start taking orders in April. I've purchased both bare root divisions and potted plants from them and have never been disappointed.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Have you tried a Google search? 'Hyperion' is a classic and should be available through most mail order vendors, of which there are dozens that specialize in daylilies. B&D Lilies, Oakes Daylilies, Daylily Paradise, etc. Do a check with the Plants by Mail FAQ to confirm dependability and customer service. FWIW, 'Hyperion' is common enough that it should be available in local garden centers and nurseries in season, as well.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

I'm having no trouble finding that variety. But, after reading a few horror stories here about certain dealers shipping mislabeled plants, I'm looking for recommendations on specific companies.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I have to recommend Daylily.Net at

Here you will find links to over 100 daylily specialty nurseries and I personally know owners of the the majority of them. I have also conducted business with each one of them.

The newest site to be update from the Daylily.Net membership is Christies' Daylilies at

and you will find some remarkabley low prices for fantastic cultivars.

If you wish to be notified whenever a new site or an updated member site of Daylily.Net occurs then sign up for the free email bulletin at the bottom of the Daylily.Net homepage

Bobby Baxter

Thanks!

Reply to
Doug Kanter

can't believe it. Is there THAT big a market for them>?

Em Be careful what you wish for....

Reply to
Auntie Em

There are 100's of them around the world!

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Haven't you ever pulled off a country road to buy corn from someone who apparently grows and sells just corn? :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Have a look at

in Canada, it is probably too much hassle to order from them if you are in the States, but the picture gallery and infomation may be useful. Great people, too.

Reply to
Bill Spohn

> Jimminy! A company that just sells Daylillies and nothing else? I

It's a big country.

Reply to
StanB

Buying local is better than mail order, you can get bigger roots with more buds. I think tissue cultured daylilies are just a bad as mislabeled, so check if the growers sell those.

Reply to
Pen

I always try to do that. It's getting harder, though, unless one wants to drive all over the county. Why? Because even some of the best nurseries have been afflicted with teenage retail syndrome: The counter help has no initiative, no common sense, and no manners. So, calling on the phone means being put on hold and forgotten. Used to be you could call these places and get an adult who, if busy, would take your name & number and call you back about whatever you were looking for, but no more.

OK...I'm done bitching.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

My apologies, I remember the TR syndrome thread. :)

Reply to
Pen

Also forgot, Jeff & Jackie, Tennessee supplies to a local grower here without any issues. I've never ordered from them and can't find them on Garden Watchdog. Good luck!

Pen

I think it's the fault of Wal Mart, at least locally, for creating a culture where price is more important than service. Here, it's impossible to get through a cashier's line in less than 20 minutes - even the express lines, because the bobble-head teenage cashiers are busy yacking between each other.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Wal-Mart took advantage of the cultural shift, but they didn't create it. They were just a regional chain not much different from other regional discounters, and their national big-buddy, K-Mart, when the value of service left our economy.

Mostly it has to do with choice. As urban areas became a center of despair surrounded by a ring of suburban sprawl, people became more mobile. They had to. Even if they had been interested in waiting for the bus, the distances to be traveled required prompter service than mass transportation could provide. Thus the car became a dominant part of our lives, along with the ability to easily hunt down the lowest price.

If anything, the supermarkets are to blame. Every week they were sending ads to everyone's home touting that you could buy a can of beans for a cent less than the other store. And the other store was bragging that their cans of corn were a cent less expensive.

Today we're seeing a resurgence of the specialty departments (bakery, meat, produce, for example) after three decades of seeing those departments becoming less and less about personal service. Competing on price required it, and nowhere else in our society was it happening more than in the grocery business.

Discount big-boxes grew from two influences: The old "dime store" (or the 5 and 10 for those around before inflation saw the 5 disappear), and as a market for overstock from the large department stores. Wal-Mart came from the dime store side of the family, while Target came from the department store side of the family. But coming from the department store side of the family didn't automatically make a store more upscale. J.C. Penneys had a chain named Treasure Island in the Midwest, and it was one of the junkyiest places I ever saw. Wal-Mart is upscale compared to them.

Technology has had it's part in the culture of low prices, too. And not just in it's implementation by those in the distribution channels. The people who hunt for the best price online today are not of the same ilk as those who shopped by mail order catalog a couple generations ago.

At one time low price also meant low quality. Wal-Mart still has a lot of junk, including items specifically built cheap to keep the price down. But Costco has some pretty high quality items at a low price. You're going to find less service at Costco than at Wal-Mart, though.

Wal-Mart has become the new Microsoft. Their the company that it's fashionable to blame everything on. But what they're guilty of is taking the best advantage of a situation. Sam Walton and Bill Gates get painted as satin personified, but they are really just examples of the American Dream taken to the max. They didn't create the situations they took advantage of. They just had the vision to see the situation that existed, and found a way to take advantage of it.

Wal-Mart didn't create the desire for low prices, and lousy service. They just took advantage of what we already wanted to do. They didn't turn us into addicts. They just continue to supply us.

BTW... It's also fashionable to cry "buy local". But how many of us owe our income to our employer's ability to do business beyond the local boundaries? If we all bought local, we'd have fewer choices, and many (more) of us would be unemployed.

Reply to
Warren

Regardless of what the Sunday circulars may lead you to believe, marketing on price is something the grocery business left behind about 5 years ago.

Reply to
Doug Kanter