Electric lawn mowers: do they cut it?

G'day

I am considering purchasing a lawn mower and the new generation of electric battery-powered mowers have caught my attention. My question is are they worth considering? My primary concern is do these electric mowers have sufficient power? What other issues are there to consider? Pros, Cons.

Thanks for reading Dave

Reply to
feRRets_inc

Mine works. I have a Bermuda grass lawn and sometimes I have to make shallow cuts or the motor will stall, but the gas mower did the same. I have never had it repaired, other than blade sharpening. I wouldn't go back to gas.

Reply to
Charles

If you keep the blades sharp they work fine.

Reply to
Beecrofter

I'd consider them a step down from a $200 gas mower from Lowe's. If you don't have the strength to crank a gasoline mower they can be of value, but it takes some getting used to. The cutting width on mine was more narrow and although it cut most grass adequately, a patch of heavy bahaia was a pain. The blade needs to be kept sharp, but I didn't have to worry about oil seeping into the cylinder through the valves when I turned it over to take off the blade for sharpening.

Regards,

Hal

Reply to
Hal

I've used a Black & Decker electric mower for years with no problems. As others have said, it's good to keep the blade sharpened. It works fine in my small yard, but I think if I had a lot of mowing to do, I would probably prefer a gas mower to get a wider swath and the advantage of self-propel capability. My overall opinion of lawns is low, though, since they are water hogs and require a lot of maintenance, so you might want to take that into account. I think if I had much area, I'd opt for a meadow and a goat! Gary

Reply to
Gary

regular corded mowers are almost trouble free. lots of power. just stay aware of that cord.

they also have really low purchase price.

Reply to
LanscpHort

My father bought an electric lawn mower back in the early '70s. (It might have even been the late '60s -- I can't remember for sure.) The lot was 40x130, with a house, two car garage, driveway and 12x12 vegetable garden. That didn't leave a lot of lawn, but the front lawn did include a hill about as steep as you'd care to try mowing. The electric mower had a fiberglass shell, so it was significantly lighter than a gas mower, which was a big selling point.

I do remember we had to install an outside electrical outlet, as the house didn't have one, and the detached garage, at the back lot line, was just a tad too far to stretch a heavy-duty extension cord from.

That mower was still humming along when they sold the house in '98, and all the maintenance it ever needed was blade sharpening, and occasional blast of the hose on the under-deck. (Of course it was unplugged for both of those operations!)

When I bought my own house I considered an electric, but I didn't find one that had the feel that it would last 30 years, and the layout of my irregular-shaped lot, and even more irregular shaped lawn really didn't lend itself to being able to avoid the cord.

Your mileage may vary.

Reply to
Warren

We have a Black and Decker, very thick St, Augustine...about 2,000 square feet of it (much less this year) and it gives one and a half mows on one charge. It works perfectly well and is not noisy, or smelly.

Reply to
escapee

***************************************** I'd like to join this thread as I am interested in the none-wired electric mowers (with my ineptitude I am sure I would mow the corded kind the first time I cut the lawn, so rechargable battery-type is the way to go for me if I am going electric. Has anyone tried the Neutron and been satisfied......are there any others out there that I should be seeking?

rich haynes

Reply to
Rich