Effective method to prevent emerald ash borer

Geoff-consulting forester in the US expounded:

Mensa teaches you to post the same drivel seven times? Follow-ups set.

Reply to
Ann

Then you must also be ignorant to have posted this exact message 7 times! Note: I stated "ignorant" and this is my logical reply based on everyone's input:

All you self-righteous folk, go back to your "forestry" and leave our gardens, please!

In defense of John, all he did was reply to a thread that had been cross-posted. He was *NOT* the original cross-poster. Neither was Billy. Or Ann. Or myself. With some readers, if not all of them, when you hit reply to a thread, it sends the reply to all the groups that the OP sent it to. Whereas, you seem to think that we invaded your territory, STS, we could think the same here in wreck gardens. So how's bout a deal....you go back where you belong, and we will stay where we belong.

Oh & glad that Don's vocabulary is so advanced that he has to revert to name calling with explicits. That was so uncalled for. Is that the type of language you learned in your PR classes?

Reply to
rachael simpson

I have to admit, Pat it was tough even seeing your post in this giant pile of insults, but I found it and I'll answer your questions about EAB. See my comments below (some snipped):

-Pest and Pathogen scientists typically call severe undiagnosed health problems in trees "decline". It's a general term for not being able to diagnose exactly what is killing a tree.

It is sometimes quite a chore to figure out what is killing a tree or trees as there are literally THOUSANDS of potential pathogens, any of which could be affecting the tree either alone or in combination. We (foresters) know when we get out in a Beech/Maple forest for example when we see a Sugar maple with a target canker on it, it is probably caused by a Nectria genus fungi, but to place a species on it might be tough, since there are many species in that genus of fungi that could cause a canker. The only reason we know of the problem is that someone has taken the time to study it (in a lab) and the study was well documented and known and the disease is common enough to see in the forest.

In most cases, the diseases, insects or other pathogens have been studied, but the amount of time to research the specie(s) of pathogen affecting most single plants is often more costly than simply replacing the plants (in a landscape situation).

In an urban setting, trees have a higher value (landscape value) than do timber trees (at least typically they do), so more time (and $) can be spent taking care of them.

Luckily, someone was smart enough to notice unusual galleries in the White and Green ash trees and notice that it wasn't a previously known occurring pest. There are actually gov't people who are doing something for your money!

If you knew what was lurking in Asia (and to Europe to some extent) ready to come over on the boat to set up a "lunch plan" over here in America, you would be amazed - most people would want significant trade barriers up - but would they stop shopping at wal-mart? I think not...

Our latest problem is the Sirex wood wasp (also in NY, PA, and Ontario), which is a pest to "hard pines" like Austrian, Jack, Red and Scotch pines. The Red and Jack pines are obvious "problem" targets, as those are the only indigenous species of hard pines here, and they are worth collectively MANY times what the other two species are worth (from both a timber and ecologically important roles - A small example: Kirtland Warbler, a transmigratory bird depends on scrubby Jack pine fields for it's nesting habitat in the Grayling area).

We seriously hope it won't be as much of a problem as EAB is!

That is exactly how they get vectored. Windshield wipers, under the body, frame, wheels, etc. Firewood is a larger problem yet, since there can be larva underneath the bark and they can emerge in different locations.

No, but I'm a private forester - Not a gov't guy. Landowners depend on my decisions, not the other way around...

Generally, my advice is to hold off on cutting Ash trees that aren't ready to be cut. There is no sense just cutting trees "in case". Seriously, it's a bit ridiculous - but that's the way some loggers (and wood pimps) are trying to market (scare) landowners into cutting trees.

And in areas the EAB has run rampant over, can they survive

I don't know, but I suspect the answer is no - unless the bugs waited around until those shoots got large enough to produce bark thick enough to make a habitat for them again (10-15 years or so) - but they would have to do that by feeding on current ash trees within a 2 mile radius (max) or so.

I know that there

Yeah, the streets of Michigan Center, Michigan had dead Ash standing along the street the last time I was down there. It's horrible looking, but money is tight right now for nearly everybody in our state, public and private sectors.

Actually, lack of funds is a *valid reason* for the lack of further forced EAB extermination (believe me, the state burros will waste every damned red cent that they could get their greedy hands on, since they are clueless on where the money came from or held value to the previous holder anyway).

There are still quarantines on hauling wood between counties, etc. There are also checkpoints, but whether the transportation of wood is enforced or not is anyone's guess. I could find out just by calling around to some mills, etc. I suspect record auditing is going on, but unsure.

My responsibility ends outside my client's boundaries (since I always stay within them).

We have to do as much as possible to stop the vectoring of these critters into other areas that contain host trees.

EAB has brought Ash timber prices to record lows (relative to the strength of the dollar) during the last 5 years - and has had other indirect impacts toward the legislative process as well.

It's a whole lot better if we can educate people to understand how to eliminate this critter - but it takes everyone's involvement.

Not every green bug is an EAB, but if you're absolutely sure the one you see is, please squash him a.s.a.p.

Reply to
Geoff-consulting forester in t

This is probably as good a place as any in this thread to offer an observation.

You people are funny.

Wolfgang who spends most of his time in another newsgroup......no less populated with idiots and buffoons, to be sure.....but at least somebody actually says something once in a while. :)

Reply to
Wolfgang

Reply to
Geoff-consulting forester in t

Reply to
Don Staples

Why don't you?

You left in: alt.forestry, alt.great-lakes

which I deleted. Or set follow-ups.

Reply to
John McWilliams

You can't get anyone to not do something on usenet. You can control only your own actions.

So please don't continue the x-posting yourself.

Reply to
John McWilliams

As an obsessive compulsive autistic you should be able to define yourself.

Reply to
Don Staples

It would seem, since you failed to answer the question, which puts you in the same category as the "tree biologist", a fraud. And by the way, it seems you did not snip the headers, either. Hmmmm?

Reply to
Don Staples

"Geoff-consulting forester in the US" wrote in message news:46c07167$0$22481$ snipped-for-privacy@news.tm.net...

Neither.

If you're young, you'll get used to it. If not, it won't matter for long.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang

He still refuses to define his terms your Honor and jury. I rest my case.

Reply to
symplastless

Don cannot define himself, yet he wants to define others that he does not even know? Who's the real fraud?

Oh, Toni Gee said that Einstein did not have a degree and flunked math in third grade. And his education did not go past third grade. Something to think about.

Reply to
symplastless

And you are still a cross posting ass hole.

Beware a so called "tree biologist" who has never studied biology.

Reply to
Don Staples

How do you define a forest. I.e., if you call yourself a forester. Which you do on your web page. That is a legitimate question.

Reply to
symplastless

Today I learned that Chestnut oak acorns are born and mature on the current wood.

oaks - their acorns are born one year and do not mature until the following year. So they mature on last years wood.

I do not have a degree, but you can see this for yourself.

I am still waiting for Don Staples to define what a forest is to him. After all he claims to be a forester and attacks other people for whatever cause.

Reply to
symplastless

Nothing about you is legitimate,

Ignore a so called "tree biologist" who has never studied biology.

Reply to
Don Staples

> Red oaks - their acorns are born one year and do not mature until the

I am so happy you discovered acorns grow on oaks. about time you learned something about trees.

Beware a so called "tree biologist" who has never studied biology.

Reply to
Don Staples

Again you missed the point. Its about the fact that red oak acorns form on last years wood and chestnut oaks form and mature on the current wood. Yous a hard learner.

Reply to
symplastless

that you are ignorant.

Oh dear. Thank you Geoff for repeating yourself. Now that I have the message loud and clear, I shall take my ignorant self elsewhere as I am completely overwhelmed by your intelligence.

Reply to
Treelady