Eastern Snowball Cutting?

Hi everyone, I have a dear friend who has always admired my Mom's Eastern snowball bush/tree. It is around 20 ft high and really loaded with blooms in the springtime. I would like to try rooting a cutting for her as a special gift before we have to sell my Mom's house. Any special tips you can give me? Somewhere I read that they will be sterile and not produce blooms. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Reply to
Elaine

For pruning If you do not desire imposing extra injury to your tree or vine- I highly suggest reading this book. And do not use wound dressing. Once you have read it you will be able to answer your own question.

also would be wise to offer the tree other treatments that address their requirements. This book would help someone understand many treatments.

John A. Keslick, Jr. Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!

fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss. Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that will give them understanding.

Reply to
John A. Keslick, Jr.

John the house is being sold. I am the only caregiver to my Mother in stage

Elaine

Thats as simple as you can get for pruning. Try here:

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr. Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!

fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss. Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that will give them understanding.

reminding

John A. Keslick, Jr.

Please re-read my original post. I am NOT INTERESTED in PRUNING. I want to do a simple cutting to root.

I would like very much for someone else to give me recommendations on whether this can be done on an Eastern Snowball and still get blooms. Thank you

Elaine

What does that have to do with trying to propagate the tree/bush?

Reply to
Travis M.

U¿ytkownik "Elaine" napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci news:1a4Gg.23986$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews4.bellsouth.net...

Yes - Eastern snowball flowers are _always_ sterile. However, if you take a cutting and if it will root, you'll get a plant identical to the parent - i.e. it will flower all right :) And it should root pretty easily, use some good rooting medium (perlite+peat moss or sand), stick it in a shadow, cover with something transparent, air from time to time. Cut the sprigs below nodes, they should not be too thick, try bending - if they break easily with a loud sound, then it's just about right width. Ane use rooting hormone and keep the ground regularly moist. One more thought - snowball usually spreads by underground rhizomes or whatever these are called- perhaps it would be easier just to dig a piece of the bush, rooted already? HTH.

Regards, Barbara.

Reply to
Basia Kulesz

If eastern snowball is Viburnum opulus 'Sterile', the time to take cuttings would have been in early June -- treat with IBA at 1000 ppm and root in sand or perlite under mist. You could try that now with the most flexible, youngest growth you can find --- I'd take a fairly large number of cuttings, at least 20. I'd try a second set of cuttings with 8000 ppm IBA and rooting under mist, too, since it's so late in the season.

Any chance the new owners will give your friend permission to take cuttings next spring?

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster