Dying yews

Hi,

I have Tauntoni yews(Taxus Tauntoni) and Browni yews which keep turning yellow & brown and dying whereas the daisies in the same area seem to be florishing and spreading like weeds. Is this because of the local soil condition. Do the yews need more acidity? Would some fertilizing help?

I live in Michigan, the soil is clayey and the area gets plenty of sun during afternoons.

Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
R. Kannan

These yews are usually long-lived and generally considered a low-maintenance shrub with no serious insect or disease problems so don't bother with an herbicide or insecticide. They may wilt and die if grown in heavy, poorly drained soils. Foliage may brown in winter (winter burn) from exposure to dry winter winds. Twig dieback may occur in winter or at other times in the year as a result of damage caused by sudden and extreme winter temperature changes. These varieties are noted for having better resistance to heat stress and to winter burn than most other yews.

Reply to
ricks555