Diseased Tree - HELP!

Hi all

Just moved into a new house with quite a nice garden. However, there is a tree that appears to have some sort of disease which has resulted in black-ish spot on the leaves, leading them to eventually fall off. Unfortuately, I'm no gardener (although I'd like to be). Can any one out there identify the tree and disease. Let me know of you need more info. Picture attached.

Thanks

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: DSC08647.JPG | |Download:
atticboy68

From what I see, it's an anthracnose, a fungal disease, of some sort. Wet spring where you are? That usually makes it worse.

Seek local advice from a good garden center or plant pathology clinic. Most anthracnoses are more about appearance than real plant health issues, but there are times when a regional outbreak can do some real damage. As I'm probably on the other side of the pond from you (I'm in the PNW US), I really can't advise you much.

Typical anthracnose diseases:

Kay Lancaster

Hi Kay

Based in 'sunny' Scotland, where it rains constantly! Thanks for the advice. The tree seems 'sound' but the leave are falling off. In fact there none left on it now. Shame really. The local garden cenre will get a visit.

Thanks aga> On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 11:01:29 +0000, atticboy68

atticboy68

I'm in "sunny" western Oregon where our "morning showers" yesterday and today have been two days of steady rain. (I've been standing on the porch, pointing east, and yelling at the clouds to get over the mountains and dump it on Colorado, please!) I know the situation well.

Generally what happens is the tree will push out a second set of leaves in a few weeks. Some fertilizer in the fall, fairly low N, will probably help the tree -- I'd put it on just before the fall deluge starts if your soils are as nutrient-poor as mine.

Might want to rake up those shed leaves now and dispose of them elsewhere just to keep the pool of inoculum smaller.

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

Hey Kay

Thanks again. I'll give that a go. Hope the weather brightens up!

GEORGE

Kay Lancaster;963252 Wrote:

atticboy68