Deadheading Zinnias?????

Do Zinnias need to be deadheaded, and if so, how far back do you cut off the stem that the bloom was on?

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

Hi stranger. Zinnias love being deadheaded. If you look at the nodes you may see where a new bud is developing. If you don't see one, I normally cut back about three sets of leaves. I have also cut lower than that to restore zinnias which got leggy and out of control. This can bring the plant down to where the powdery mildew is, so I now try not to cut them back that far. I've never had zinnias, other than the dwarf varieties, which didn't get powdery mildew. You?

escapee

I just pop the flower heads off as they die right at the bottom of the flower. 2 fungers and pinch! I love Zinnias!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Randy

Yes, deadhead them. They will come back vigorously for you real soon. Cut back to where the stem that had the bloom meets up with another stem, or if it's the first cut you are doing, cut back to perhaps the

2nd or 3rd set of leaves on the new, non branching stem. Molly Zone 5a
Reply to
Molly