corn tassels--stuck in stalk

I messed up on my corn. I didn't realize they were heavy nitrogen feeders and haven't been given them extra nitrogen. All but one of the stalks sent out tassels a few weeks ago, but the silks just started appearing in the last week. I don't expect pollination to occur. I'm guessing this is the fertilizer imbalance. I was using a heavier phosphorus mix.

One curiousity. One of the corn stalks is a mass of tassels. Where all the rest have these neat "trees" of tassels spread out high above the stalk leaves...this one has so many tassels coming out the top that they literally appear to have gotten stuck coming out. I pulled back the top leaves(which didn't separate) and there is a 1" round of tassels jammed inside the stalk--which are grey and fuzzy (molding/rot).

In the photo I pulled the leaves away (they were stuck to the tassels) to show how packed the inside is. I'd say this has three times the tassels of any other.

this just a random thing that occasionally happens? Do you loosen the leaves to get the tassels to come out? Sign of a problem...possible result of high phosphorus instead of high nitrogen. This would make sense if tassel production relied on Phosphorus. That would explain why they came out so much earlier than the silks and the mongrel-cluster on top of this one.

I'm pretty sure corn is shot for this year but I'm trying to understand what I could do different next year if I try again. DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, 1 mile off L.I.Sound

1st Year Gardener
Reply to
DigitalVinyl

wasn't worth

It's one thing to complain about pictures posted here in the group, but nobody can blame the poster for your slow connection. It took under 10 seconds for me to get the picture.

tassels)

Reply to
Some One