cocoa mulch

Snopes has this article on danger to dogs from cocoa mulch. I don't use it but wonder how many do and if any problen.

(If anyone is unfamiliar with Snopes, they are the Web's premium debunker of weird claims -- and verifier of the few valid ones.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

debunker of weird claims -- and

I use it, mixed with shredded leaves, and never noticed *anything* eating it, other than the occassional slime mold, which quite often appears where I use it. (Cats actually seem to dislike it.)

Now, the vernacular name of that slime mold is 'dog vomit' and I wonder if people mentally connect it to dogs having eaten and gotten sick from the mulch.

I seriously doubt that anydog who does not already have a habit of eating inappropriate stuff would munch on the spread mulch, but straight out of the bag I could see, so keeping the bags out of reach is recommended.

Dogs have died (or nearly died) from eating far less appetizing stuff, like river rock mulch (!) or socks. In fact, they made a whole television series about it:

Pat Kiewicz