Cinnamon fights damp-off?

I just read about using cinnamom being helpful in combating damp-off. Does anyone have experience with this method? My seedlings are about 1/4 inch high. One has succumbed to damp-off. Can I sprinkle cinnamon around the seedlings, right on top of the soil, even at this stage?

Reply to
GSHATTERHAND

Cinnamon is a natural fungicide so it should help. When I overwater and get white mold in the seed tray it kills it off quick.

mm

Reply to
mmarteen

You should get some vermiculite and put a think layer of it on top of the soil after the seeds germinate. It will preven the moisture from killing out the seedling. You can find it at a nursery and it is wonderful for what you need. Also works well out in the lawn. Give it a try and I am sure you will be happy as will your plants.

Reply to
MWhite3660

I've never used cinnamon against damp-off. Air circulation works great. Just put a fan in the room where your seedlings are so that the air moves over them. Damp-off needs a wet soil-air interface to grow, so keeping the air moving dries out the surface. When I put the fan in the room my damp-off problems dropped from 20-40% to less than 1%.

Reply to
dps

Try fluorescents, about 4" above the seedlings. Haven't had dampoff since using them.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Thank you Father Haskell and dps. Very helpful suggestions.

Reply to
GSHATTERHAND

Thank you, mwhite. I hadn't heard of this solution to damp-off.

Reply to
GSHATTERHAND