Cherry Treee for South?

I am in SC and am shopping for a couple of cherry trees. I wanted to know what kind of recommendation I could get on a mail order farm for these? I have catalogs from Jung Seeds and Shumway.

I havent bought a tree before so I am asking.

chaz-

Reply to
chaz

Cherries do not do well further south than Virginia.

Reply to
animaux

They grow wild like weeds here in east Tennessee. I have harvested a few cherry trees on my property for furniture making and woodenware.

Reply to
Phisherman

I climbed a cherry tree near Yorktown and ate some about 50 some odd years ago and I believe you are talking about fruiting cherry trees and I believe you.

I don't know the answer to the original poster's question, and he didn't say fruit/flower, but look what we have in the heart of Georgia:

Hal

Reply to
Hal

I just want to grow some cherries! LOL

chaz-

Reply to
chaz

Okay, then no, there aren't any southern cherries which will produce fruit for you. Nothing further south than D.C. that I know of. I have a cherry laurel, if that counts! Get yourself some peaches, pears and rasberries...even blackberries, but not cherries.

animaux

Check with your county agent or Clemson U. I expect a sour cherry (pie cherry) like Early Richmond or Montmorency would grow in upstate SC. They do very well in piedmont Virginia.

Reply to
FarmerDill