cheiranthus cheiri question

Can't seem to find the answer in my Sunset bible, or on the net, so asking this good group.

Thses are established, 2 yr old, plants and blooming nicely. Should one cut them back at some point? Do they take well to dead-heading? Plants are quite well filled in and close together and I'd like to keep them so. Don't want them leggy.

Your opinions appreciated. TIA , Nonnie

Reply to
High Nonnie

Brian

On the west coast, wallflowers may be longer lived than elsewhere. There is a stunning planting of mixed wallflowers just up the street from me that is at least five years old and I have many in my garden that are 3 or 4 years old. I cut them back hard after bloom - this keeps the plants relatively compact and may even encourage a late rebloom. They also reseed rather freely if you are not prompt about deadheading. Summer dryness and low humidity may be the key to longevity.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal