caterpillars

I found some caterpillars which look a lot like the green hornworms that get on tomatoes but the horn is dark colored and they have the large "eyes" near the front that look similar to what tiger swallowtail larvae have. Any clue what they might be? I am thinking some sort of sphinx moth, but thus far have not found anything that looks exactly like them while googling. Damn camera is broken or I would post a picture to the binary group.

Reply to
timorous wraith

In article , snipped-for-privacy@timorous.wraith says... :) I found some caterpillars which look a lot like the green hornworms :) that get on tomatoes but the horn is dark colored and they have the :) large "eyes" near the front that look similar to what tiger :) swallowtail larvae have. Any clue what they might be? I am thinking :) some sort of sphinx moth, but thus far have not found anything that :) looks exactly like them while googling. Damn camera is broken or I :) would post a picture to the binary group. :) You might try looking up Tersa sphinx or Hummingbird moth and see if that's your guy/gal

Reply to
Lar

try:

dicko

it for me:

ones I had found were on the ground near my plants, but after learning what they were I looked on my Egyptian starflowers and found literally dozens of them. I had not even noticed anything was eating on the plants. I left them alone, the plants will die to frost soon anyway. I borrowed someone else's camera and took pictures this morning, I will post those to the garden binaries group if any turn out. In case anyone wants to see them. *shrug*

Reply to
timorous wraith

It was Tersa sphinx. If this post had shown up before the other one, I could have saved a bit of time. Oh well, I learned something new and that is what matters.

Reply to
timorous wraith