cabbage slugs & worms

harvesting my cabbage to make some sauerkraut. Finding earthworms and some slugs deep inside of cabbage........removing layers of leaves and keep finding them or there dung deposits.

I planted some cabbage in spring & harvested it in July. That cabbage had some problems but not as bad as the cabbage i am working with now. I have tried 3 or 4 diffrent types of white cabbage over the last couple years, and the earthworms/slugs are a consistant problem. I have spray with BT occasionally over the last couple of months to control the cabbage worms but does not help with slugs and earthworms.

Reply to
buckwheat

Are you sure they're earthworms, I can't imagine earthworms invading live cabbage plants. I plant cabbage every year and have no insect/slug problems, used to have rabbits and field mice helping themselves but ever since I began caring for feral cats there are no more rodents/rabbits. I use no chemicals. In fact I've been harvesting cabbages, picked a seven pounder today, it was sliced into eight wedges, stuffed into a pot with an inch of salted water, and it's simmering right now. I even stole some of the center part to eat as cook's treat, so sweet. Where are you located, nights are too cool here in the Catskills now for insects/slugs.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

have had this problem every year I grow cabbage, I don't see them in the red cabbage, white cabbage is what I have a problem with. They sure look like earthworms, they are small ones however. I live in central Michigan. Next cabbage I cut open, I will post some pictures............probably next week.

Reply to
buckwheat

Slugs take refuge in such plants, they don't eat them.

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Sure they do!

Reply to