Boring damage to a black oak

I have large black oak growing out of a shale cliff about 5' above a lake in western NY.

Every year it develops holes that liquid flows out of. Occasionally there are piles of sawdust below the holes. The holes are about 3/4" diameter. There are healed holes elsewhere on the trunk.

I have found what appears to be the remains of large moths stuck in two of the holes, but don't know if they are related to the problem or when in after the sap.

Any idea what the problem is, or what I should do about it? Is there a better group to post a tree question to? Thanks.

Reply to
toller

It's suffering from dog urine burn. Shoot your neighbors dog and see if it improves.

Reply to
Doug Kanter
3/4" holes are cause for some concern. The most likely cause would be a carpenter bee, but you might want to also check into the Asian Longhorned Beetle which is a serious threat to trees now. When insects pupate they leave bits of silk and the like behind. The carpenter bee is not a serious problem as it only makes a home . The asian Longhorn Beetle is a tree killer because the larvae girdle the tree under th bark.
Reply to
bamboo

Actually I think it's suffering from Doug urine burn. Shoot Doug and see if it improves.

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:39:55 -0400, "Doug Kanter" wrote: snip

Reply to
Kanter Ranter