Blue Hydrangea?

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I never saw the topic. Are there any household potions I can add to my potted hydrangea to make the blossoms blue? Or do I have to buy some commercial product, and if so what is it? Thanks

Reply to
Jutta Haas

Try aluminum sulfate. If that doesn't work, kill your pet dog and bury his/her body next to the roots.

Reply to
Boston Grange

Aluminum sulfate will acidify the soil so I guess acid is blue and basic is pink. You can use a very dilute solution of vinegar or azela food but much weaker than the directions say.

Reply to
redclay

I picked this up here some time ago and never tried for (pH greater than 7.0) red, but epsom salts (magnesium) gives a nice purple color.

Use the following to determine final bloom color (determination of bloom color is set approx. late Aug-early Sept.):

pH >7.0 = red

6.5 - 7.0 = white 5.5 - 6.5 = pink 4.5 - 5.5 = blue
Reply to
Hal

DO you drink filtered coffee at home?

Reply to
Paulo

Most of the hydrangea's around here are very blue. The soil here is acidic. But, the hydrangea flowers on mine are amazingly both pink and blue with huge flower clusters--it looks "artificial." I'll post a pic on the binary garden group when I get the film developed in a week or two.

Reply to
Phisherman

It that suppose to be a joke? To me, that isn't even close to being funny.

Reply to
Bill R

Yes, I concur. One of my dogs is in the emergency hospital now on IVs and feeding tubes, unable to stand, and we don't know why. I have spent most of the last few days at the vet's office and across town at the animal hospital. The death or sickness of a pet is far from a laughing matter. I am sick with worry over this.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Reply to
Jutta Haas

The used coffee grains are a good way to make the soil more acid. I think you can put it around the plant.

Reply to
Paulo

I don't like this either, it is definitely not funny!

'enry VIII

Reply to
Glenda

I sure don't like it either. Where do you buy aluminum sulfate? Could I not put a (Canadian) coin in the pot???

Reply to
Jutta Haas

You could and you could also put a boiled egg in the pot, both will do about the same thing, nothing! ;-)

'enry VIII

Reply to
Glenda

Does it have to be filtered? What about the sludge from the bottom of a French Press coffee pot?

amy

Reply to
Amy D

I Guess still ok. Mixi it with the soil around the plant

Reply to
Paulo

I thought it was funny... of course I don't belong to the politically correct - watch what you say - can't chance hurting someones feelings crowd that so dominates American culture today.

Keep up the 'dry' humor!

Reply to
Fred

thanks for the tip, I'll try it - the blooms are forming already, so it might be too late. Is there acid in the coffee grounds?

Reply to
Jutta Haas

It is acid. I heard you can add now when the flowers are forming....and slowly will change the colours.

Keep us inform of the results.

What kind of Hydrangea u have?

Reply to
Paulo

What's funny about suffering? In addition, I think that playing the "politically correct" card is a dishonest way to excuse stupidity and rudeness. I must be a lot older than you. When I was young, being considerate of others was called "manners" or "politeness." Apparently now being considerate is a sign of weakness. Ironically, I think that there is a large portion of the population who practice their own form of political correctness, but PC means being rude. It is a way of conforming to the norms of your social circle -- but it is still PC but dark and mean.

Reply to
Vox Humana

I don't understand the (Canadian) coin question, but aluminum sulfate it available at most garden centers with the fertilizers.

Regards,

Hal

Reply to
Hal