black spots on silver maple leaves

Hello,

The silver maples in our front yard are developing black spots on the leaves. Not knowing any better, I'd guess this is some kind of fungus. How big of a concern is this?

In case the details matter: Madison, WI zone 4 or 5 depending on who you believe clay soil

Thank you very much!

Ted Shoemaker

Reply to
Ted Shoemaker

Black leafspots on maples that are due to fungal infections (anthracnose, tar spot, Phyllosticta leaf spot) are usually only seen in the spring following a period of wet weather. Fungal problems can occur at other times if there has been a period of unusually rainy weather. They are not a great cause for concern as they cause minimal damage to the tree. sed5555

Reply to
Sed5555

Reply to
gregpresley