Best time to plant Red Sunset Maple?

I'm in north Missouri.... not sure of the zone

My sister wants to have a Red Sunset Maple planted in honor of my mother who died many years ago

I'm thinking it best to plant it next fall.... not now

Is this correct?

If yes.... why?

Reply to
me

I think you are probably referring to Acer rubrum 'Red Sunset.' This is a very fine cultivar with large leaves (i.e. vigorous) and excellent autumn color that grows to a large size. Note that the true 'Red Sunset' is trademarked.

It prefers moist conditions and acid soil. Seems to me it might be getting a little late in Missouri to plant. If there has been any leaf burst it is too late, unless you buy container grown and are prepared to water all summer. Under any circumstances, a maple planted in the fall will have a chance to get its roots established for the coming season. Since A. rubrum needs a lot of moisture this is especially important.

I'd wait.

Nice choice, though. Just make sure you really want that big a tree in the spot, as it could make > 20 m when mature.

HTH

-E

Reply to
Emery Davis

here is link to what my sister sent me

So you would definitely wait till fall to plant? And not plant now?

She wants to plant now and I think better to wait to fall

What you think? I'm in Hannibal MO

Reply to
me

Correct.

She had better be prepared to go out and give the tree a lot of water this summer. Hard to tell from the ebay what the size is, but given the price it should be pretty large already. So it will probably need around 100 litres of water per week until leaf drop, if you plan it now.

It's container grown, so you can certainly do it, but it will be a lot of work and the tree won't be better for it.

-E

Reply to
Emery Davis

Its a 6 foot tree

And we will actually be planting it abt 60 miles from where we live now

Reply to
me

I think it's too expensive then, but who knows? :) If I were you I'd look for another source, this is not a rare maple.

So, you don't want high maintenance. Plant it this fall, put down agricultural fleece around and a heavy mulch, it will be fine.

Not saying it's not possible to plant this close to leafing out, just not the best thing to give it a good start.

-E

Reply to
Emery Davis

I thought it was steep as well