best sprouter for sprouting seeds

Hello everyone!

Do any of you have any experience with sprouting seeds for kitchen use? I want to venture into this but could not decide for myself which sprouter is best. I've looked at what Pinetree Garden Seeds, Johnny's Select Seeds and Park has to offer. Kindly share your experiences guys? Thanks in advance!

Frankie

Reply to
Frankie V. Fernandez, MD

I save clear enclosed plastic containers you get from fast food joints. For example, the new KFC meal containers have a clear plastic lid and three compartments. Just put dampen a paper towel, place the seed in the towel, put the towels in the KFC container, and close the lid and they will stay moist more or less. This one place I go to serves salads in a totally clear plastic container that snaps and seals shut. I save them during the winter, use them once for seeds and then throw them out.

Reply to
Mark Anderson

Hi Frankie,

I agree with Rwakeford about using muslin or even better, cheesecloth. You can also get plastic lids with a mesh type screen that is all on piece and screws into just about any jar. Look for these in a natura foods or health food store. Here's what they look like. You don' need to buy the jars.

-- Newt

Reply to
Newt

You don't need a sprouter. Save money and use a large glass jar. Put in the seeds and rinse well then drain. Cover the top with muslin and lay the jar on its side. Rinse and drain the beans daily until they sprout - as easy as that and doesn't cost a bean!

Reply to
rwakeford