Bees & Compost

Does anyone know if bees can be a problem with a compost bin. I have recently started composting and I am worried that bees may vist and cause a problem. Chukie

Reply to
sheencrew

Phisherman

Reply to
S Orth

There are many sorts of bees & some of them burrow into soft soil or upturned turf to establish a hive. If your compost isn't "hot" then it's just loose stuff for the ground bees to burrow in. But if you keep the compost damp & stirred it will heat up from decomposition & it will not be an interesting spot for bees. Not that bees are a "problem." They are a benifit to the garden, & it is nice flowers they'll be visiting most.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

There's your answer :>)

The only problem with bees and compost is that when you apply it to flowers, they grow more flowers and attract more bees.

John in Houston

Reply to
Tex John

Last year I discovered a small colony of bees in my compost pile in the spring. Though I had accidentally disturbed them -- they were the nicest bees I can imagine. They didn't sting me, though I stayed in the vicinity for some time. I let them stay there until some weeks later I found that the hive had moved elsewhere (well, I hope that's what happened).

Your species may vary. These would be welcome back any time. Yellowjackets and the like -- no thanks!

-frank

Reply to
Frank Miles

Are they bees or yellow jackets? If they're yellow jackets, consider putting a few of Rescue yellow jacket traps around, you can pick them up from almost any hardware store.

Snooze

A "rescue" trap for yellow jackets?

Wow...

So, like, where do you let them go at? And how fast do you run?

:>)

John

Reply to
Tex John

If you have yellow jackets just put cumcumber peel in your compost pile. Yellow jackets hate cucumbers. Susie :-))

Reply to
susiefrog51

:) Doesn't really rescue them, it's the brand name, rescues the home owner. You fill the trap with water or apple juice, the yellow jackets. They get inside the trap, fly around until they tire, then they fall in the water and drown.

Now if only state executions used the same method. Push Scott Peterson overboard somewhere in the atlantic, point him in the general direction of the nearest land...after all he thought it was a humane way to kill his pregnant wife.

Reply to
Snooze