Bamboo Plantings - Anyone have them?

I am working on plans for a Japanese style garden and i really like the Bamboo tree for both the look and the awesome growth rate/screening potential.

Has anyone on here grown it/growing it now, and if so is it everything that the suppliers websites would have you believe it is? :)

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
christophereharrold

I'm in zone 5 and don't think it will grow here. Maybe there are hardier varieties that will. I was just calling HD, Wal Mart, Big Lots, and will check Lowe's to price out stakes. The 8-foot ones are $2 apiece.

I don't have a good place to grow it anyway, even if there is a variety that is hardy in my zone, and some people consider it a nuisance, but I think it is neat.

Go to

(you will probably have to sign up) and search on bamboo. Click on garden forums at the top. I've read a lot of different posts about it there, one person wanted to know how to make a trellis from it, several people have it growing on their property in the south. But they don't like references back to usenet or other forums. I got a post pulled because of that.

Reply to
I Love Lucy

May want to look at rec.gardens.bamboo. I live in zone 5 and have a black and gold bamboo. Black is 30 feet tall and gold about 15. Black is about 30 years old. If you are about S. Jersey USA write me . Email is real just start with Williamwag. I'll give you some. Takes a few years to get established.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

I wrote you but missed one crucial little detail. I am nowhere near S. Jersey USA but the same climate zone.

Reply to
I Love Lucy

I have over 60 varieties in Zone 5b/6 but I do know a person in zone 4 growing bamboo and posting his results on the forum at

. On that website there is also over

3000 photos of 450 varieties of bamboo and an interactive species list where you can search for bamboo based on size, hardiness, sun exposure and Clumper/Runner.

If you can control the amount of water that the plant gets it is easy to control most species. If not a trench around the beds with rhizome pruning a couple of times a year takes care of the running.

Bill

Reply to
hollenback

Cool, thanks everybody. I have found several varieties that can survive in Zone 4, and here in Denver in Zone 5 there are a pretty good variety of available species for me to choose from. I am not too concerned about the rhizomes as I planned on using a barrier around them to keep them in the area I want them in.

Thanks again for all the info.

Reply to
christophereharrold

Check out the bamboo at the Denver Zoo.

Bill

Reply to
hollenback

Bamboo is not a tree. It is a grass.

I grow bamboo. What are the web sites telling you.

Reply to
Travis M.

Instead go to

Travis M.