Aloe Help

I have an Aloe plant that my wife left outside without water for 4 months. Luckily it's still alive, I gave it a little water and brought it inside to a shady place and it seems to be doing better. Is there anything else I should be doing, ie fertilize, and in so what type and how much. Thanks.

Reply to
dave

I don't know how accurate this is but it sounds right.

Travis M.

You don't say where you are, but here in Central Florida, your wife's idea of care has worked for my aloe for the last ten years. It's in the only area of the yard that I never water, And all I've done to it in that time is prune it back. I remove about half of the patch about every six months. It grows like crazy and blooms on occasion.

Reply to
MFLyons

Go easy on both water and fertilizer during the short days of winter. Not so sure about the shade because your message never said where you were but here in CT I can't get enough light.

Reply to
bamboo

I'm in Southern California.

Reply to
dave

I been growing aloe vera in containers for years.. I live in SW Virginia.. I always plant them in a clay pots with an all purpose soil that drains well.. In the winter time you need to put them by the window that gets the most sun (high light)... It needs at least a half a day but will adapt to less.. I set my plants outside in the spring two weeks after the last frost and water as need.. Be sure not to leave in standing water and let soil dry completely before watering again... Best temperatures are 70* days and 50* nights.. Be sure to that the frost doesn't get to it in the fall The plant will eventually grow sprouts (offsets) and should fill out the whole container.. When I transplant, I just pull of small sprouts (offsets) with roots and transplant in small clay pots.. One good size aloe can make many plants in a small time under proper conditions.. The most common problem is overwatering because it causes the plant to rot.. Aloe plants are like a cactus It's ok to lightly fertilize in the late summer/ fall.. The leaves may be plain green, variegated, or spotted with white or gray... The leaves will turn a brownish color if left out in full sun, during the summer, (8hrs of full sun)... if that happens just relocate the plant to another location with less full sun.. Sometimes in bright light plants may produce spikes of orange, yellow, or red fowers in the fall to winter... Plants can grow 2 ft tall and have thick leaves, (sometimes 3'' wide) filled with gel-like juice Aloe will grow if neglected...

Reply to
bizaareguy