Ailing Croton

I recently got a croton as a gift. I am young and have never really cared for a plant before, so I did a little research online regarding what crotons need to flourish. I was "following the directions," but it is starting to look sad.

I have had it for 2-3 weeks, living indoors, getting approximately 6 hours of indirect sunlight and 2 hours of direct sunlight. Ambient temperature is constantly between 70 and 80 degrees. I am unsure about watering... I read a few different suggestions, and ended up going with once every few days.

Now its leaves are drooping. The plant has 3 main stalks coming out of the soil, and the leaves on two of them are not being supported at all. The leaves feel OK to the touch (semi-firm with a soft texture), but they are not being held up by their connection to the stalk. The other 3rd stalk is doing better, but the leaves on it are sagging a little as well. The leaves on all look healthy (yellow+green, some darker and more green than others, red on the middle and edges of some), other than the droop.

More details... It is in a plastic pot with very dark, fairly hard soil. There is a grassy type substance on top of the soil, put there by whoever arranged the plant (organic but dead, unattached to the soil).

So the inevitable questions...

- How often should I water it, and how much water at a time?

- Would it be happier out on the fire escape (3rd floor apartment) than inside by a window? I live in New Orleans, where it is usually over 90 degrees and 90% humidity in the daytime.

And most importantly... - How do I save it?!

Thank you for any advice!

Trevor

Reply to
Trevor

I'm a little north of you in BR, and I keep mine outdoors, water once a week, and they're in pots with regular ol' potting soil/topsoil mixture. They smile all day long.

Reply to
Heydan