Advice for replanting oak?

About eight years ago I had an old dead oak removed -- about a 100 foot tall tree (broke my heart that it died). Now that the stump (which wasn't ground) is pretty rotty (so I'm assuming the roots are too), I'm considering having the stump remnants ground out and planting a pin oak or something on the same spot. But I don't know if the new tree can actually go in the same spot this soon and if so, do I need to do anything special to prep the hole? Or, if I have to plant in another spot, how far from the orignal must I go?

Also any good replacement red oak species anyone would like to recommend are welcomed. I'm looking for something that gets pretty tall over the years but which doesn't drop acorns every year (It's not that I don't like the acorns and the wildlife that they bring in, it's just I have plenty enough already!!!!)

Thanks!

MMoniker USA, Pennsylvania, zone 5-6

Reply to
MMoniker

grind the old stump ...and if you want to plant in the same spot...wai

12 months to allow the ground to settle....thats just my opinio

-- Eyebright

Reply to
Eyebright