Subject Author Posted Replies

planting a tree
I recently purchased an autumn blaze maple tree about 6 feet tall. I would like any info on how to plant it. Thanks for any reply
10
10

Fruitless Mulberry seeds
These fruitless Mulberry trees have always made seed tassels that are lite and easily blow away to germinate many places around the yard. Two seedlings came up in raised beds, several years ago. Last...
5
5

OT (?) Bees in trouble
It's not really OT, since the dire predicament of the pollinators that give us our "daily bread" is of concern to home gardeners as well as to consumers of commercially-produced food, organic or...
11
11

Chimayo chile in chimayo?
If you're familiar with Chimayo chile perhaps you can help. I have grown th ese from seed given me by people in Chimayo, New Mexico. It is very hot and the sauce it makes is almost orange in color....
1
1

A bit damp here
I am just about to plant my winter seedlings, mostly brassicas. That will have to wait for a while since we had 90mm (3 1/2 in) of rain over night. There has been much more nearer the coast, over...
19
19

Ultrasonic deterrent harmful?
The elderly in particular use a cat-deterrent in their garden. It is a small apparatus with a speaker attached to it. It produces a high-pitched bleep of more than a 100 decibel. The sound is mostly...

Rain barrel care
We live in Northern Ohio. where hard freezing is common in the winter. As a consequence, I disconnet and drain (almost completely) our three rainbarrels in the winter. But because of sun exposure,...
1
1

Can I get tomato plants from seeds of store-bought tomatoes?
We had some very delicious cherry tomatoes from our local supermarket. If we plant the seeds from those tomatoes, what are the chances of actually ge tting some of the seeds to sprout, or are the...
34
34

Dividing Huge Hosta
I bought a Hosta 'Blue Angel' perhaps six years ago and it has been quite happy in a bright corner between the house and front porch. Last Autumn I noticed that there were two stems (or perhaps trunks...
4
4

When to plant dwarf dahlia tubers in zone 4?
Do they need to wait until the soil is warm, or plant as soon as it thaws and nights are usually above freezing? Or do they need to be started indoors in pots, then set out like tender annuals? I...
6
6

Time to Plant Bulbs
Now is the time to plant spring-blooming bulbs! We all love to see those first pops of colour after a dreary winter, so do your future self a favor and plant a nice array of bulbs in your garden. Here...
7
7

Strawberries!
First of the season showed up two weeks ago! More proof of you-know-what. Last June, I put in a whole bunch of plants, but got zip fruit, though that's supposed to be their season in this latitude (34...
8
8

Is there a visqueen that allows water through?
Hi All, I have to get rid of my back lawn (water meters). Is there a visqueen or similar that I can cover the lawn with that will allow (rain) water through but not weeds/grass to come back up? Plan...
2
2

rain yay!
it's not snow. :) yesterday was a bit cool and i had second thoughts about going out and doing some garden tasks, but it was such a nice sunny day that i talked myself into it. with the forecast being...
3
3

Vermicomposting - Plans for a better Worm Bin
Greetings and Salutations: FYI. As I am sure you know, you can use your kitchen scraps to make fertilizer for your garden / plants / etc. It also helps reduce the amount of garbage in our garbage...
10
10