Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Yeah, YOU! GET OFF THE GRASS!
Explore deserttraveler's 12 photos on Flickr!

Deer resistant vegetables?
I live in New Jersey and have learned what flowers and shrubs deer will decimate. By painful experience I now know what to plant for foliage/flowers in the yard. I am getting into growing vegetables....
11
11

Seeds...
There has been so much talk about where to get good seeds, what not to buy, etc....Is there some rule against us starting our own little seed exchange within the group? I grow only non-hybrid...
24
24

hot and shady summer replacement vegetable
I'm in 7b (Atlanta), and it's getting hot. I have a small garden in the sunniest part of my shady yard, which gets varying amounts of shade in the afternoon. In one of the shadier spots my snow peas...
6
6

Oriental Greens or perennial food plant
Grow any ? I have a few of offerings below as I like perennial food. Bill sort of a grazer myself Billy and his post on more plants in daily diet got me here.
6
6

Zucchini squash going bad.
My green zucchini squash is turning yellow and soft on the blossom end before it is even big enough to do anything with. Any idea why and how to make it stop?
14
14

Radish flowers turning purple
I've notice the interesting phenomenon lately of my radish flowers turning purple after being white for a while, as the stalk and seed pods (though not the leaves) take on a purple-red highlight as...
1
1

Eggpalnt
Last year we froze a bunch of eggplant that we did not use over the winter. My question is how can I cook it now that is mushy? Does anyone have a goo recipe for a soup or something? I have checked...
3
3

To net or not to net??
Hi I have a 3 plot rotation going in my garden. 1 roots, 1 brassica and 1 legumes. I have always had each bed completely protected by netting. However, I have just thought that having my peas, beans...
2
2

Corn tasseling too early
I live in the southern Utah desert, zone 8-9-ish, heavy clay soil and hot summers. I planted corn in my front yard, which previously had rather unsuccessfully tried to be a lawn. This year, I forgot...
5
5

Germination
I planted seeds about a week ago, and today I noticed quite a few sprouts from some of the rows and zero on the others. I know seeds germinate at different rates, but when is it time to think that...
3
3

Stunted pepper plants
Hi all, I'm not really sure what's going on with my pepper plants. I have a couple of Redskin Peppers, one planted in a pot the other in a glasshouse border. Both plants are roughly 6" - 7" and appear...
3
3

Sunflower question
I have one sunflower plant - it was a volunteer among my peas. It is now over 7' tall and has one open flower plus 8 flower buds. I've never heard of a sunflower having so many flowers. Is this...
1
1

Watering
I'm a newbie. I got my 25x28 plot all tilled, added about twenty sacks of amendments, including peat moss, and turkey crap based conditioner, and some vermiculite. I made rows that were as best I...
23
23

hanging tomatoes are TOO heavy!
I thought I'd be ever so smart, and use some 5 gallon buckets and make my own "Topsy Turvy" tomato planters. I let them sit for 2 weeks right side up til the roots got bigger, and when I tried to hang...
20
20