Zucchini blossom end rot

My bet is on the Ghost of Christmas Past!

Reply to
gunner

That just means that we should have stepped on the eggs when we had a chance. They're spreading.

Reply to
Wildbilly

What would stop an American from opening an ISP account in Australia?

Reply to
Wildbilly

In overstating the obvious... Well, did ya or not?

Back in July someone in CA was also confusing Blossom Drop and BER. hmmm.

Reply to
gunner

Bees seem to be getting a poor rap here, and all of it undeserved. Allow me to put in a word in their defence.

On hot summer days, flowering native trees hum loudly with the sound of beating bees wings. The bees are working even harder in the hot weather!

If the number of bees you see in your garden falls off during heatwave conditions, it's because those bees are needed back at the hive to fan the brood (undeveloped bee lavae) in the comb and regulate the temperature of the hive. Bees don't slack off in heatwave conditions, they actually work harder than ever!

On the topic of zucchinis, as I have written here many times: the beauty of growing zucchinis is that you DON'T NEED BEES because zucchinis don't need pollination. Provided you harvest the fruit within a day or two of its flower having opened, it doesn't matter whether it has been visited by a bee or not.

Only if you want to grow a fruit to maturity do you need bees. But allowing a zucchini to grow large means it loses its flavour, that's why they need to be harvested while young and tender. In addition, not allowing any of the fruit to grow for more than a few days keeps the plant flowering vigorously and producing even more fruit, thus improving the yield.

-- John Savage (my news address is not valid for email)

Reply to
John Savage