yay California!

George Shirley wrote: ...

the reservoirs added another 300,000af to the totals in one day. so, yeah, they got a pretty good rain over most of the state for a change. :) and the middle and the south part got some. that is what they really need is more rain to the south and central parts where the reservoirs are the most depleted.

in spots they say something like 11 inches of rain in two days.

:) a good night's sleep can make so much difference! hope you're feeling better?

songbird

Reply to
songbird

you have a very strange idea of me for sure as there are others here who have a lot more practical knowledge...

see, that right there, i've not grown any of those here at all, you already have more experience than i do in that regards. :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I'll never be a spry youngster anymore but I'm going to bed around 2100 and getting up about 0600 and not needing a nap until mid afternoon. That beats laying around all day dozing off and drooling. Of course the dawg misses the naps but it doesn't slow her down, she knows she's old too. She's snoring on the couch behind my desk and its only 1955 hours. Tilly Dawg knows how to live right. I am feeling better and am not dragging my leg as much. When the doc tested me n the 1st of March my BP was 97 over 60, I felt tired and he almost passed out that I could still be moving at that BP. He really got worried when I mentioned BP's in the

70 and 80 range one day and almost 300 the next. Heck, I'm used to it, been having a bad heart since 1986, you do get used to it and learn to pace yourself. Been left for dead twice in all these years but I'm still kicking. I've still got great grandbabies to train yet. Someone has to teach them how to fix things and grow their own food. Their parents are all busy making a living.
Reply to
George Shirley

songbird wrote: ...

heheheh, love this guy's brain:

i've read his works as best i can and agree with much of what he writes.

as where i live is a prime example of doing it wrong, but it was done wrong for a purpose (art and the creation of). for me to go back and redo this entire site in line with permie principles would be a vast amount of work and take a lot of resources. i can paste bits on here or there and help it out, but a proper design from the start would have avoided so much... ah well, still love it, with all the frustrations and defects. it is still home, because Ma is here and so here am i too. :)

we saw the first killdeer yesterday when we were out walking and it was in the mid to high 60s today. spring is going to be here.

peace and goodnight,

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I saw a yellow belly sapsucker yesterday , checking a maple tree over for bugs . Thought it was a pileated at first until I realized how small it was . First one I've ever seen .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Might have been checking for bugs. Might just be living up (or down) to its name (I have a bunch of trees with patterns of holes those guys drill.)

I'm a bit concerned that we might be in for a repeat of a few years back, when it hit 80?F in early March, and then froze all the buds/flowers off the fruit trees in late April. Pretty much doodly-squat for fruit that year.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

I hope not ! My peach tree has blossoms starting to swell and open , and last-frost date is weeks away .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

true and a lot of kids are too, but even if they can get a bit of fond memories for later on when they slow down they can come back to it. like gardening... it can be picked up later.

napping is dangerous. i've fought all night to not take a nap so i can get to sleep at a normal time in a few minutes.

*scritch the dawg for me*

think my BP is doing ok, don't think i ever felt over 300, when i was hiking and swimming it was probably the best. now probably 90 - 110. i know my metabolism is very efficient when i'm resting.

spring flowers will be out soon, too warm for the rest of the week and they are already poking up. ground isn't frozen enough. most the snow is now gone.

looks like the rains are hammering y'alls again... eek!

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Tilly likes long naps to get ready for bed. I'm trying not to listen to her.

She do like being scratched, mostly around the base of her tail, under her neck, and on top of her head. She seems to be able to reach everywhere else. She also likes giving kisses and the great grands seem to think it's the thing to walk over to Tilly and tell her "gimmie a smooch" and she religiously does it, which gets giggles.

You're still a kid, wait till old age sets in. You will probably be like my Mother, still going strong into her eighties, went to sleep and didn't wake up at 89. When I was a young boy I used to watch her weed her flower beds. She would pick up a snake, snap it like a whip and take its head off, then want me to go bury it or throw it in the pond. I'm not like her, I carry a mean hoe and can chop a poisonous snake's head at six feet. Much safer for someone who can no longer run. Fortunately the dawg spots them first and runs them under the fence.

It's not bad 'bird, coming in squalls, had another one just hit us an hour ago. Left standing water in the gardens and yard so we have saturated soil and clay now. Probably going to go on for another two or three days. That's normal rain in SE Texas, the home of floods, tornadoes, and hurricanes.

Makes the crazy drivers slow down maybe a mile or two. Saw a notice in the paper the other day that the main thoroughfare in front of our subdivision handles over 100,000 vehicles a day. Mostly during the go to work and go home again times. I believe because I don't get out on the road until after 0900.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

You are being humble. If I was any good at gardening at all I could be humble too. Not any time soon.

:'(

...Mar 12...

14,004,806 af

cranking right along, storms still coming. :)

the storm yesterday made it to the south and the day before they had a storm rain in the central part for over a day and a half.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

songbird wrote: ...

note: this total is from Mar 10th report totals.

200 - 300 thousand af per day is such a huge amount of water.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

...Mar 15...

15,620,430

most of the gains still in the north. the south did get some rains, but they still need a lot more. a break in the weather for a bit before the storms return.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

...Apr 6...

17,147,962

things have calmed down quite a bit and the snow pack has begun to shrink even more without new snows piling on top.

more rains in the forecast, but i don't know how heavy they will turn out to be. not enough in the central and southern parts by far...

still hoping for more rain this rainy season, but they are doing much better this year than last year.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

looks like it topped out sometime the past few weeks at about 19maf, which put it at seasonal average of 90%.

still most of the water is far to the north of where it was really needed. the central part of CA did get some more rains and snows which did help a lot, but still could have used a lot more. the southern part of CA did not get much at all to help it break the drought.

the snow pack is rapidly melting off.

if the coming year is a La Nina year (dryer than normal) then the drought will be back on for the central part and the southern part will be even worse than it currently is (which is hard to imagine).

from the other side Lake Powell and Lake Mead are also on the low end of their historic averages. the snow pack there was not too bad, it will be interesting to see what level Lake Powell tops out at. they've been keeping the upper reservoirs fairly full (that feed into Lake Powell).

songbird

Reply to
songbird

...about CA water storage/season...

this year is looking pretty good, if there wasn't the situation with the Oroville Spillway it would be great.

major reservoir levels are reading about:

Total Storage (AF) 22,656,646 Total Average Storage 20,567,895 Total % Group Average 110.16%

Snow pack is where it is at:

Statewide Average SWEQ 31" Statewide Percent of April 1 110% Statewide Percent of Normal 194%

especially considering that two short years ago it was pretty much zero...

Heading over to the Colorado River basin (which also supplies water to CA via aqueducts):

the river forecast is that there will be some extra water for Lake Mead this year, not exactly sure how much, but anything extra is a help with it running lower. the more good news is that there are expectations and hopes that less will be used.

snow pack there is reported to also be in pretty good shape. runoff is just now starting to get into gear.

the overall picture is pretty good. the drought is mostly considered over and another bullet was dodged. this extra wet year will buy them more time to upgrade and enhance the ground water districts and to try to get a better balance between pumping and recharge rates. plenty of projects are going in to help with this, but it does take time for them to be put in. water recycling and desalinization projects are also in the works.

and of course i'm always glad to see environmental restoration and projects aimed at putting a more natural water holding systems back in place (forests and meadows upstream). just returning beavers to an area can do a great deal for that.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

the most recent update looks ok, but is pretty much as expected after such a great snowpack/runoff.

Total AF 23,169,139 Group Average 118.05%

only three reservoirs in the list not doing that well, and one of them is the result of the spillway break at Oroville (repairs underway), the other two are in the far south where the need is greatest. hopefully they can be shored up this season from water shipped south.

Lake Mead and Lake Powell are doing ok, but the lack of spring rains meant about 1maf of snow evaporated rather than contributed to runoff. the inflows to Lake Powell peaked a few weeks ago, but it is still rising very slowly. probably will peak soon (around 66-67% full).

songbird

Reply to
songbird