Worm farms - collecting/harvesting worms?

I tried one of those things once, but I kept spillin' the ice out of my glass.

Cheers.

Reply to
Steve

Is that slowness of thought an age related thing or is it just too much booze before you read ngs? :-))

Reply to
FarmI

On that topic, I think we could end up having a good toe-to-toe session because I don't agree with Heinlein there (and say that as a licenced gun owner who does own guns).

You're a dominant nation in all areas of life. I can't turn on the TV or the radio or read ngs without having the US (politically and culturally) there in all its glory and non glory all the time.

I even write differently in groups that are dominated by USians because I know that USians are only fluent in one form of English and that is American English.

Billy got the point when he responded to your comment about how the rest of the world is mentioned in the US - it's all about US interests (except for local colour).

Yep. I'm always fascinated by that aspect of America and Americans and how such an attitude ties in with American's own view of themselves as living in a 'rich' country and 'the best place in the world' where 'everyone' wants to live (which on analysis really turns out to mean poor and uneducated illegal immigrants who believe in the Coca-cola culture).

For such a (normally) generous and open hearted bunch I simply cannot understand all those miserly, mean spirited comments I keep seeing on ngs about any government help going to any 'underclass'. These people are not only fellow citizens but they are also fellow human beings!

US government attempts at dominance don't really bother me too much. It'd be a pretty poor government of any nation that didn't try its hardest to represent the the interests of its peoples in the best way they know how. The hypocricy does get to me at times.

(so no hitching up of the tunic over the belt till it

:-)) That was quite a few decades ago now Charlie. Although I now realise when I look at old photos that I was a very good looking teenager and young woman, I had no idea of that at the time. I've never been vain so now when I look at the old lady in the mirror who looks back at me, I'm quite content with her and her saggy looks.

THAT should cure you!!!!!!!

:-)) I underconstumble. I do that too even though I know I shouldn't.

I agree. I never foudn ti undpeasant either. Same for the guts from a sheep.

Smells, more

Smell is an extraordinary source of evocative memories for me too.

Reply to
FarmI

Actually as a world power, I think the US is really starting to slip and to slip fast. I'm watching China now and those bastards are far less palitable (sp?) than the US as a super power.

Reply to
FarmI

:-)) I saw snippets of the flick on David and Margaret and thought the same thing about the dialogue. Too mumbled and hard to hear to want to actually go out and seek it out even if it had been the best flick ever made.

You must be a Nick Cave fan in that case.

Given where you live, you should be able to get the govt connected broadband. Or have they stopped that subsidy for us people who live in the wilds? Give Mike Kelly's office a ring and ask them if it's still a goer.

Reply to
FarmI

We still spend half of the world armament budget but the U.S., Russia, China, we are all oligarchies. Our mass medias feed us stories that benefit our oligarchies, not the masses. Propaganda by Edward Bernays, Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media by Edward S. Herman and Noam Chomsky: this is how the world is run. The myth of democracy and freedom is all that is left.

released today showed that in Britain the number of Big Brother snooping missions by police, town halls and other public bodies has soared by 44 per cent in two years. One request is made every minute for officials to spy on someone's phone records or email accounts. Last year there were 504,073 new cases - an average of 1,381 a day. It is the equivalent of one adult in 78 coming under state-sanctioned surveillance under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000.

And so it goes, EVERYWHERE.

Reply to
Billy

Just remember that if you feel a lump in your breast, check to make sure it ain't your belt buckle ;O) (I'm running, I'm running)

Reply to
Billy

frankly it needed subtitles & that's the end of it.

having said that, it was far from the best flick ever made. it just was nicely photographed & "controversial", otherwise it would just be any old quite-good film. (what is "controversial" about gay cowboys - not that the heath ledger character was even actually gay in most senses of the word - i'm sure i don't know from my own perspective.)

bingo :-)

good lord, i never heard about that. i really must get organised. thanks! (i think i'm supposed to get satellite broadband, but who the hell knows). kylie

Reply to
0tterbot

Guess you Know it Was Jim Morrison's Dad who was the captain of the "attacked ship".

Bill who putters

Probably! ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Perhaps so, but I really care not to do this. I don't always read this oft quoted quote literally.....one must be armed with things other than literal weapons.....knowledge, facts, wisdom, confidence, prudence, an attitude to "rip a face to shreds", literally or figuratively, if need be. If all within a society were prepared to to this, then we would have a more polite society. I too own enough firearms to accomplish any of the tasks for which those tools were designed. I grew up using firearms, am proficient, just as I am proficient with many other tools, including chainsaws, which are every bit as dangerous as a firearm. By whe way, for you gun haters, in the US, hospitals kill so many more people that firearms........but I digress.

Funky deal, yet quite interesting (also referencing the Brokeback talk) that though we have a common language, it really only common enough to perhaps communicate on a minimal level. It seems that written is easier to grok than spoken.

Yep. A very good point. The vast majority of americans base their entire worldview upon the propaga, news they see/hear on the nightly news.

I friggin' *live* here and cannot understand it either.

WHich peoples does government represent? THe representation I am witnessing seems to be in only in the best interests of the few, and if any crumbs manage to hit the floor, well so be it, and be more careful at trough the next time. 'twas ever thus

Yeah, it cured the teenage Charlie that took control for a bit, but honestly, and Lovey and I discuss this often, we prefer the patina of age. And I am finding that you and we share many of the same values and perceptions. Good on *us*. :-)

Underconstumble!!! What the hell kinda word is *that*....got it...urban dictionary....new to me....thanks! I underconstumble! Lots of that going round.

Rabbits on the other hand.........

Reply to
Charlie

Maudie and 'arry had been together over fifty years when old 'arry up and expired suddenly. After months of grieving and sorely missing 'arry, Maudie called upon her dearest friend Mattie and explained how she could now longer go on without 'er 'arry and was going to meet 'im, but needed some 'elp, seein's how she 'ad no idea 'ow to use 'arrys old service revolver.

Mattie explained to 'er "Just place the barrel firmly under yer left breast, dear, and pull the trigger and you'll be with yer beloved 'arry."

They sadly shared their goodbye's and Mattie went home to await the call. After hearing nothing after several days, Mattie began calling about and found that Maudie was in 'ospital. Rushing to 'er side, she found an irate Maudie. What 'appened, dear, Mattie asked.

Maudie explained that she had followed Maudie's instructions and that the noise and the pain were horrifying and that as she was losing consciousness, she was anticipating the joyful reunion with 'er dear 'arry.

When she opened her eyes she saw this gorgeous young face and as the fog lifted from her consciousness, she heard the young doctor explaining how they had had to replace her left kneecap.......

Reply to
Charlie

Easy for you to say!

Reply to
Charlie

Yeah, it was the satellite broadband connection I meant. We've got it but the sodding ISP doesn't offer newsgroups so I also had to maintain my dialup connection. It was either that, give up my addiction to newsgroups or pay an annual fee to a German ng server.

Reply to
FarmI

Not the way I enjoy Usenet but there is always Google groups

and for this thread see I hate the idea that ISPs no longer offer Usenet as a standard.

Mike

Reply to
Bloke Down The Pub

There are free news servers and in any case the fee for a pay for use news server would have to be less than maintaining an ISP just for that.

Here is the one that I use:

David Hare-Scott

Indeed! To you and yours and me and mine...

...and I am reminded of lines from a favorite song of ours from one of the now departed...

We drank a toast to innocence We drank a toast to time Reliving in our eloquence Another auld lang syne... ~~Dan Fogelberg

For your satellite time.....

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Yeah, I know but it's become one of THOSE domestic disbliss sore points. When the Head of Home Affairs decided we simply must go satellite, he asked me what I wanted in a provider. I said that I didn't give a rat's posterior what the download or speed was so long as it offered access to newsgroups. No prizes for guessing what the satellite provider fails to provide. I did tell you I was married to an alien. And today marks the anniversary of having been married to him for 38 years!

each other. You seem to have no trouble posting and I see your posts often enough so that might just meet my needs. thanks again

Reply to
FarmI

I grew up using firearms, am proficient, just as I am

i'm not even sure if i want to go here but....

firstly, it AMAZES me that people think people ought not to die in hospitals. considering they're full of germs, disease & sick people, the staff are overworked and the food is execrable (if not in fact hazardous to the health), being killed by hospital seems pretty much the natural order of things, to me. (similarly, planes fall out of the sky & everyone is shocked, and yet, if the engine goes wrong, surely one does not honestly imagine the plane will arrive intact _anyway_, so i'm constantly amazed that people object to plane crashes. incredible!! of course the plane will crash & everyone will be killed if anything goes wrong - it flies in the air & there's nowhere to go but down. i don't understand peoples' thinking sometimes, i have to be honest there.)

secondly, (the place i really don't want to go, & probably won't return): yanks love their guns, yet their homicide, accident & injury rate would be a great deal more palatable without the ubiquity of firearms. it's just the way it is, the stats tell the story, & arguing about it is moronic.

so that's fine, and when you're all tired of killing yourselves & each other in droves, you'll discover that it's really not so bad after all to have a few checks in place. it will probably happen whether you like it or not, but arguing about it is still moronic, and charlie, you're clearly fairly smart & ought not to say silly things such as chainsaws being equally dangerous... unless you can fell a tree with it from half a kilometre away, of course.

:-) kylie

Reply to
0tterbot

LOL.

Yet again, another brilliant post from the ever irrepressable Kylie! No flies on you.

Reply to
FarmI